Menacingly

Toby POV

"I can't just do this, his system is way more advanced than I thought," Caleb sighed tucking his hand into his pocket and pulling out a flash drive. "If I were to ever hack him Inbound have to save everything into this flash drive but he's always one step ahead, he could destroy this whole flash drive leaving us with nothing."

I rubbed my temples,"So basically. . . the only information we could use is the information that he gives to us." he nodded in affirmation,"That's exactly what I'm saying but there's nothing you can do, dad expects you to be back in the office, keeping Cavanaugh Corp. at the top of the charts."

"I don't give a-" Ezra's gasp cuts me off as he slaps my arm,"Not in front of the baby." he scolds and I close my eyes for a few second to calm my nerves. I admit to admit that the detective was being honest when he said it would take while, this guys move was indeed precise. There was no trace we could find and the piece of hair that had apparently been on my balcony was useless.

That much had began to make no sense. The day the girls were taken it was a windy day and the wind still hasn't stopped coming, the piece of hair couldn't possibly had been there by the time they had investigated the area. "I can care less about work." I rephrased after a moment.

"No offense but I can understand why Spencer was taken, I just don't understand why the others were taken as well." Caleb admitted and I narrowed my eyes at him,"Why is that?"

He sighed finally turning to face me,"You were with Alison and she disappeared, now Spencer too- I just find it strange," he paused. "They could possibly have some connection with this guy that we don't know about."

I didn't want to believe him, Spencer would have surely told me once everything had started. I knew about her father and Wilden, there was no one else she happened to be afraid of.

"She talks in her sleep sometimes when she's scared and all she does is mention two very common names." I told him. Ezra drew in a breath,"I have to side with Caleb," he says. "I would hear her crying in her sleep and before the dream could get worse you would wake her up. . . you never asked what the dream was about."

He was right.

I felt that if I asked her what her dream was about that it would just worsen the situation further more. Although what he said was true I knew she wasn't ready to talk about her nightmares either way.

"Maybe I should call Maya." Caleb took out his phone but I grabbed it, shutting it off completely. "Maya isn't going to help us, she's hardly ever around," I scowled but he knew that it wasn't sent towards him. "Em, will find someone who cares about her just as much as I do and if not even more."

Once Emily's dad had passed away Maya had walked into her life to fill in the space. Her mother had fell into a short depression after her vulnerable state had ended and Maya had left saying the it's not you it's me line. Before Emily had a chance to become an exact replica of her mother I had forced my dad to take her in.

I could remember her refusing to come. She felt that she didn't deserve the easy way out of her situation no matter how much I begged her to come. Finally, after a long argument we had come to an agreement that she could work as a maid while staying with us. Surprisingly, that was what made her feel better- working for her future.

"We can't forget that you once stopped caring." Caleb retorted, my face dropping into a deep frown. "I never stopped caring-" I cut myself off. "I'm sure she knows that."

"She does." he admitted almost to quiet for me to hear. My phone rang and I looked at the caller ID seeing Melissa's name plastered on the screen. I mentally face palmed myself, grabbing Kayden's car seat and his diaper bag off of the floor. "Where are you going?" Ezra asked.

"I'm suppose to be meeting up with Melissa to discuss some important matters." I said. He nodded,"Be careful."

"I will."

I walked out to my car and got Kayden situated in the back seat, and placed a cover on him as I felt the wind stir up. Climbing into the drivers suit, I adjusted my rear view mirror and soon pulled onto the road.

My phone had rung again and I had connected it to my AUX cord once I reached a red light before answering the call. "Melissa?" I asked and she hummed in affirmation,"Have you found anything yet?" she asked me. "Believe me when I say I'm doing the best I can. . . my best just doesn't seem to be good enough in this situation, I don't know what to do," I paused. "Detectives are on the case, my brother and I are constantly looking into things day and night- I'm confused by this whole thing just as much as you are but we cab talk about this later- I'm on my way over as we speak."

I hung up the phone just in time for the light to turn green. The drive hadn't taken as long as I had thought to get to her house from my parents house. Once I pulled into the driveway I hadn't missed Wren pacing back and fourth on the porch, speaking into the phone rapidly almost as if he was angry and I had my suspicions.

I got out of the car and it wasn't until I had closed my car door when he had stopped speaking and taken notice of me. I grabbed Kayden and his diaper bag out of the car while listening closely as Wren began to speak in French as if I would have no idea what he was saying. I had originally planned on taking my time but Kayden shivered in my arms so I sped up my movements.

"Just go in." He murmured to me before going back to his call. "Ce ne fut pas le plan," he raged into the phone once I entered the house. "Je ne peux plus te protéger." after he had said that I closed the door hiding my anger as I entered the living room where Melissa was.

She looked up from her lap and forced a smile. "Wren doesn't seem too happy." I stated and her facial expression turned into a confused one,"I didn't know he was back," she admitted. "Do you know what's going on?"

"No I can't understand anything he's saying, my French is rusty," I lied. "Can we get on the topic of you spamming me?" I asked taking a seat next to her. She shook her head,"I'm sorry about that I'm just worried."

"Me too," I murmured. "The day Kayden was born I had planned on proposing to her to make the day even more special but something- someone got in the way of that and I couldn't do it anymore. . ." I trailed off, leaning my head in the direction of Kayden who was snuggled into the crook of my neck.

Every time he breathed I felt it tingle down my neck and it amazed me at how he was always calm. "There's nothing I can do since I was taken off the case but you can still bring her back." Melissa says. I cocked a brow,"I've always pictured you to be a Lawyer." I admitted.

She nodded getting off of the couch,"Excuse me for a moment." she made her way out of the room and I sighed, humming a soft tune which I sang to Spencer time to time when I wanted her to sleep.

She'll be in my arms soon enough, I thought to myself growing more frustrated as a week flew by quicker than I had hoped changing my last thoughts on thanksgiving into, Why haven't I found her yet.

I felt something sliding down my face as I shut my eyes closed tightly making no effort to wipe away my tears and there was no part of me that felt ashamed by this action.