Menacingly

Spencer POV

Opening the safe I pulled out all of the papers and they were exactly how Melissa and I had left them. The only thing missing was the paper that Jason needed to sign to inherit this place.

"What is it that we're looking for?" Toby asked me picking up a stack of papers then blowing the dust off. "Anything that could be useful whether it's about my father or Wilden."

I looked through every single paper in my stack and there was nothing that would be helpful. "Have you found anything?" I asked him.

He shook his head. "Everything in my pile either belongs to Jason or Melissa," he paused. "Charles said that he inherited this place but the only person who could do that is Jason."

"I figured it out a few minutes ago." I admitted. This time it felt different from finding out about Melissa. With Melissa I felt like I needed time to think some things through but with Jason my mind was already straight.

There would be no tears but I did deserve an explanation from him as well. "We should probably go, Caleb texted me saying that he had just broke down the firewall so he should be done soon and there's nothing useful in here."

The sound of the creaking stairs caught Toby and I off guard. We got up from our knelled position and looked around before deciding to hide behind stacked boxes.

"Everything is under control I can handle it." a raspy voice entered. I looked up at Toby and he looked down at me. "It's Wilden." he whispered.

I turned looked forward once again and watched as Wilden looked down at the safe that was still wide open, with papers scattered in front of it.

"I'm going to have to call you back my phone is dying." he lied not waiting for the other response as he hung up the phone, stuffing it into his back pocket.

He knelled down and I was no longer able to see him because of the boxes that blocked the way but I knew he was close by the sound of his foot steps.

I backed further into Toby's chest practically holding my breath. "Where is that envelope." he murmured actually closer than I had thought.

Toby slowly slid down the wall, pulling me along with him so we were knelling behind the boxes as well. "So an envelope is what we should have been looking for." Toby admitted quietly to himself, pulling me closer against his chest.

I looked up at Toby,"How are we going to get out of here?" I whispered. "We don't have time to look for an envelope."

He gave me a quick glance before looking around. "The stairs is the only way out and it doesn't seem like he's leaving anytime sooner."

"What do we do?"

"Nothing," he replied nonchalantly, grabbing my hand and pulling me down along with him so we were knelling behind the boxes. "We're just going to have to wait."

I wanted to groan in frustration but held it in not wanting to attract Wildens attention in any way. My eye lids began to fill heavy but I kept them open making sure that I stayed awake.

Foot steps kept sounding in one place and then another indicating that Wilden was pacing back and fourth thinking.

I felt my phone vibrate again and pulled it out, my first thing being to turn down the brightness before opening the message I had received.

Caleb just broke down the firewall so he should be done soon. - Emily

I gave my phone to Toby and he sighed handing my phone back to me and standing up again. "I'm going out." he murmured but I grabbed his wrist before he could take one step.