Menacingly

My eyes fluttered open due to the sound of an object hitting the floor. I followed the noise and came upon an acoustic guitar with a signature on it but I couldn't tell who it belonged to.
"I didnt mean to wake you I was just tuning my guitar," Toby said grabbing the guitar off of the floor and sitting back on the couch. "Its been a while."

I sat up intrigued by the sight before me. There was no smirk, no genuine smile, no emotion that I was used to see come out of him. "Is there something wrong?" I asked. He actually took time to think about it then shook his head,"no."
Frowning I got off of the bed and made my way to the door. Before I could leave Toby's hand enclosed around my wrist bringing me to a stop. I looked back at him offering a smile.

"It's fine I know when people want to be alone."

"No one wants to be alone I just," he paused. "I just want you to talk to me about Dean, this CEO thing. . ."
My eyes widened with realization. He doesn't want me to leave because he doesn't want to be alone.
"I promise I won't ever hurt you-"
"Stop," I interrupted closing my eyes. "I can't hear this promise right now I still- this promise means too much to me because I've helplessly watched it get betrayed time and time again."

"Lets just talk everything out right now." he suggested.
I had no say in the matter since he was already pulling me along with him over to the couch.
I expected him to pull me on his lap like he would have done if he was fully himself but he pulled me down next to him.
"Start off with Dean." he tells me.
I am forced to look away from him as I prepare to tell the story.

"Dean," I paused. "When I was younger I would wake up in different rooms all the time and he would be waiting for me to wake up. He never took my virginity but he did other things that I didnt like," I turned back to Toby. "I rather not say what he did."
"It's fine- go on." he murmured clearly fighting back anger.
"He called it breakfast, lunch, and dinner. . . sometimes others would pay him to get to me. There want much I could do. I couldn't scream, or move- whenever I tried he would make the chains tighter around my wrist and ankles."

"Did your parents know about this?"

I shrugged,"my father did but I didnt want to tell my mom or else she would have gotten hurt." tears escaped my eyes.
"My father never cared about me he just cares about me keeping the family name and that's why he was here today. He's trying to get me to sign the papers tomorrow but I don't want to grow up like him and I love my mom but I don't want to grow up like her either."

With the exception of my crying there was silence.
"Your birthday is tomorrow?" he asked suddenly and I nodded.
"You should have told me."
"I didnt want you to get attached to me and I didnt want to get attached to you either," I admitted wiping away my tears. "My father would just pull us apart anyways-"
"Never." Toby interrupted grabbing my hand. Just looking at how much hope he had was enough to make me smile on the inside at least.

"When we first met you asked me where I got all of my bruises fork and it was him. He blames me for everything that goes wrong, there was a time when I stayed in my room for months just crying because everywhere I went I was called the murderer of my brother and sister which made no sense since I was around 6 years old. As time progressed I began to believe it because I could remember watching as it all happened," I admitted. "I never felt like I had a safe place to land but I do now so please keep it this way."

Toby leaned foreword and connected our foreheads together. His hand cupped my cheek and I let my eyes close shut tightly.
"I can see how damaged you are," he stated. "I'm not gonna break you."
My eyes opened once he pulled back to grab his guitar. The signature on it caught my eye and I noticed that it read Marion C.
"Whose Marian?" I asked running a finger over the smooth surface.
"My mom," he frowned. "She gave me this guitar before she got sent away. . . my dad got drunk one night and he had an affair. My mom was barely learning how to trust him but then they got into an argument and he said some things that sent her over the edge. . . she became paranoid yet she knew that it wouldn't get better so she left but not before giving me this."

"Do you visit?"

"Her doctor calls and tells me when I'm aloud to see her which is the times when she is calm. I went to see her just last week so now I have to wait," he replied getting off of the couch. "I have tonight planned out so you should go put this on."

He tossed me a two piece bathing suit that was scarlet red and I stood up.
"Tonight?" I asked turning towards the balcony and seeing the full moon.
"You slept for a really long time," he told me. "Now get dressed everyone is waiting."
He pulled off his shirt show casing his beautiful abs and I blushed walking into the bathroom to get changed.

I walked out of the bathroom and Toby was sitting on the bed playing the guitar and. . . singing. His voice was amazing I couldn't help but smile.
Suddenly his eyes landed on me and it sounded like he broke a few strings.
I winced at the noise.
"Sorry I've never played with an audience before." he confessed standing up and sitting his guitar down on the bed.

"The others are waiting so we should probably get going." he said. I followed him out to the backyard and we were immediately greeted by Emily, Hanna, Aria, and there was a guy I hadn't recognized. I immediately knew who he was when he wrapped an arm around Hanna.
"Ezra will be here soon he just had some work to finish up." Aria informed everyone.

"Spencer this is Caleb, visa- versa." Hanna said. Caleb held out his hand and I took it.
"I've heard a lot about you." he informs me but I don't respond feeling a bit shy.
"Come on guys lets have some fun." another guy said coming out of no where and passing Toby a beer then walking away.
"That's Ezra," Toby began. "He's been here for a long time and he still doesn't understand the fact about me not drinking beer."

"You need to loosen up a bit your always so occupied with work." Ezra responded all the way from the grill.
"How am I going to get anywhere without working hard?" Toby asked. Ezra nodded,"got me there."
Everyone with the exception of me laughed then walked off. Toby grabbed my hand and guided me towards the pool.

"You don't have to be shy around anyone here everyone already loves you for just being kind and generous," he says as we enter the deeper side of the pool. "That's what I love about you."
I wrapped my arms around his neck but it want because of what he said it was because I wasn't tall enough. He chuckled a little at this, wrapping one arm around my waist.

"So you sing and play guitar?" I asked. He nodded,"like I said earlier I have never had an audience before and I was a bit rusty-" I cut him off.
"It wasnt rusty it was amazing."

"Lets keep this guitar and singing thing between us." he chuckled and I laughed as well.
"I promise."

"There has also been something I've been meaning to tell you." he said in a serious tone. He came forward and kissed me from my neck up to my ear.
"You look beautiful." he whispers to me.
I knew this was coming.