Do You Remember?

Staring up at Adela, I have this strange hope that maybe she has finally remembered who she was, that also mixes with the hope that she doesn't remember. Does that make sense? I mean, I want her to remember so that she won't be AS vulnerable to vampires as she doesn't seem to even remember them, but then again I DON'T want her to remember so that slowly I could make her mine and make her forget everything about that Angelo guy.

If she were to remember him... she'd leave me no doubt. Abandon me in this academy where I'll undoubtedly rot away in thanks to my fathers stubborn nature.

He doesn't want me to take over the place as the official Black Flame until HE dies, which I just don't see where that common sense of his comes in. I mean, with two of us, we could be so much MORE! But that's getting out of the subject.

"Adela," I begin again, slowly raising my hands up in the air. "Do you... do you remember who you are?"

Fear grips her features, and I see the hesitation clear in her eyes. It was the perfect chance to take control of the situation, I knew that but chose not to. I have to seem helpless so that she could trust me a bit more. I don't know what caused her to act so suddenly like this, but I'm curious.

"N-no..." and then she breaks down then, falling to the cold hard snow on her knees, tears trailing down her face. Oh god, what's going in through that head of hers?

Curious I try to read her mind, but I get nothing but black in response. Ever since she lost her memories it's been like this. No matter what I did, what I tried, I'd never be able to reach within her mind and it was starting to drive me nuts!

I kneel down next to Adela and wrap my arms around her lightly, before grabbing on tighter and picking her up. I should be glad that she didn't go mad like the others, but I still regret drinking her blood in the first place. I feel like I betrayed her somehow.

Out of habit, I fidget my fingers around the silver ring my mother had given me long ago. The design was beautiful, silver and red vines wrapping around themselves, and the holes in between the vines were filled in with a black onyx. The center piece of the ring was a silver flame. One single metal flame, that just seemed to overflow with power whenever I was angered. Whenever I needed to protect someone. Like now.

Adela buried her face into my chest at some point before I entered the dorm and when I finally laid her down in bed, she was already sound asleep, snoring lightly. Her face for once looked peaceful as she dreamt, which was a surprise, seeing as she kinda just freaked out a while ago. Oh well, as long as she's feeling fine now.

"STOP!" I spun around to face Adela's sleeping form. She was grimacing now, and tears spilled out of her closed eyelids. "Don't... don't touch me... get away from me you demons!"

Demons? What could she possible be dreaming about that involves demons? Lightly, I cupped her face in my hands and gently rubbed my thumb over her cheek soothingly. This always seemed to work on her whenever she had a nightmare. I just hoped it would work this time too.

And it did. I watched as Adela's facial expression changed from that of a poor frightened girl, to the normal peaceful girl she was moments before. That relieved me a bit, but not too much. She's starting to remember again, even if she doesn't remember it in the morning, she will eventually and that's what scares me.

I don't want Adela to go through the pain of having to relive all those painfully lives of hers. I don't want her to suffer again just for the price of knowing. I don't want that for her at all. Closing my eyes, I walk back over to my own bed and close my eyes, hoping that in the morning Adela won't have any recollection of the events of today.

I tossed and turned for a long while, worried for Adela despite the fact that she lay not even ten feet away from me. I mostly worried of what was going to happen tomorrow. I could no longer guess because of her ability, or my INability to read her mind.

In the end, I walked over to Adela's bed, and without really thinking (or caring about Adela's reaction to this when she would soon awake) I lay there next to her, and wrapped my arms around her waist. After that, I was finally given a peaceful sleep.

"Goodnight," I whispered into her ear softly.