The Aftermath (Sarah)

This chapter almost made me cry to write it.... this is Sarah's fate.

Everything was black. Then, everything began to dissolve into light. Light that burned the backs of my eyes.

“Mrs Locke?” A face swam into view. A young nurse. She was pretty, blonde hair and blue eyes; a country girl with a Texan accent. She smiled. Her cheeks caved into dimples. “I’m glad you’re back with us, honey. Your husband’s waiting outside. I can tell you, you’re goddamn lucky to have such a caring man.” She winked, and adjusted my drip. I sat up sharply. “Hey, hey, honeybun. Lie down now, you’ve had a hard few hours.”

“My… baby.” I gasped. The nurse’s face switched so quickly, that her whole face seemed to sag with the effort of keeping professional.

“Listen, Mrs Locke..."

“What’s happened?!”

“We tried our very best, but… Oh, I’m so sorry, Mrs Locke. You miscarried your twins. The doctors did their best, but in the end, we had to let nature take its course. I’m so sorry.”

“Twins?!” I gasped, hot tears melting my cheeks. “H-h-h…”

“Try not to speak, honey. I know this is a difficult time. Your husband already knows. Do you want me to let him in?” I nodded. She departed, and Nelson appeared after a moment, looking dishevelled.

“I know.” Was all he said, and he folded me into his arms.

“We were having twins,” I sobbed.

“I know. I know.” He stroked my hair, taking care to avoid the bandages and dressings covering my head. “The doctor says you’re lucky to be alive after that fall. He says that if your head had fallen an inch to the left, you’d have broken your neck.”

“I don’t care.”

“Don’t say that.”

“Don’t act like you want to be here, Nelson.”

“Sarah…”

“Get out.”

“What?”

“You heard me.”

“But Sarah…”

“OUT!”

I waited until he had gone before I started to cry again. I cried for Toby, for Nelson. I cried for our dead twins, and my failed marriage and my illegal relationship with a sixteen year old boy. I cried until the night turned to day and my eyes dried up.

Nothing changed. Everything was still the same.