Pull the Trigger - The Last Chapter

• Dedicated to The real Mr and Mrs Locke (only a few people know who they are!)

Whoa. This is one HELL of a chapter, guys. And I'm very sad to say: 'We're at the end of Toby and Sarah's fairytale. Shall we see what happens?

Well, get your popcorn out, folks, it's gonna be a bumpy ride!!

“Mrs Locke, Doctor Wilson says you’re ready to be discharged… Oh, honey, what is it?” The concern was carved deeply into the nurse's face. I was sobbing like a child, rocking on my bed.

“Find Toby White, and tell him that Nelson knows. He’ll know what I mean.”

 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My mobile rang. There was no caller ID, but I picked it up anyway.

“Hello?”

“Good afternoon, this is Nurse Juliana Wilson speaking from St Pancras Hospital. Can I speak to a Toby White please?”

“Speaking.” My voice was hoarse.

“I carry a personal message from my patient, Sarah Locke: “Nelson knows”. She told me that you would understand the meaning.”

A boulder the size of the Titanic smashed my gut.

“Th-thank you.” I hung up the phone.

My phone bleeped.

Meet me at our house tonight at ten. Sarah told me. I need to sort this out once and for all.

Mr Locke.

Oh. My. God.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I lingered on the doorstep, my insides bubbling like soup. I studied the green paintwork on the door, the doormat engraved with ‘welcome’. I felt the corner of my mouth twitch. Here,  I was anything but. The door suddenly opened, startling me.

Mr Locke was standing in the doorway, still in his suit.

“Toby,” he said icily. “We’ve been expecting you. Please come in.” I stepped into the dark hallway, and felt the cold air cut off as Mr Locke closed the door. I wandered into the living room. Sarah was sitting on the sofa, her head cupped in her hands.

“Sarah!” At the sound of my voice, Sarah jerked upright like she’d been stabbed. Her face was covered with blood. “Sarah!” I ran to her and wrapped her in my arms.

“Let go of her, foolish boy.” I turned. Mr Locke was standing behind me. With a gun. And it was pointed right at my head.

“Whoa there.” I turned so that my body was shielding Sarah’s. “W-what do you think you’re doing?!”

Mr Locke smiled icily, grabbed my t-shirt and pulled me away from Sarah. I kicked out, splitting his lip. He gasped, his grasp on the gun slackening. But not enough.

“Stop, Nelson!” Sarah suddenly had a voice. She got to her feet, the blood matted in her hair. “Give me the gun. I’ll kill the boy myself.”

My blood ran cold.

What?”

Sarah ignored me and prised the gun from Mr Locke’s fist. She leaned over, entwining herself around him. She kissed him passionately. I turned away, feeling nauseated. Then there was a click.

I turned back, heard the bang. I saw in slow motion as Sarah broke the kiss, her eyes closing, rolling as she fell. The gun fell from her fingertips, landing with an ominous bang on the floor. I lunged for her, saw the gaping wound in her head.

Sarah had shot herself.

The words meant nothing.

Her eyes flew open, searching for my face, tears mingled with blood.

“I love you,” she whispered. I kissed her desperately, trying to push some life back into her.

“Don’t leave me.” I whispered. “I can’t live without you.” I kissed her again, and her lips moulded to mine perfectly. I looked deep into her eyes, and saw their light fading. She raised a shaking hand, and held mine.

“I love you.” She said again. Then she was gone.

I turned, wondering why Nelson had not shot me yet. He had sunk to his knees, his face ashen.

“Oh, please.” I picked up the gun, anger coursing through my veins.

“No. No!” He stumbled backwards, quivering like a leaf. “Don’t shoot.”

I didn’t even give him an answer. The force of the shot scooted him back a few feet where he lay, opposite to his wife, motionless.

I lay down beside Sarah’s body, close enough so I could still feel the faint traces of her body heat.

“I love you so much, Sarah.”

There was nothing left to say. I checked the gun. Only one bullet left. Better make it quick.

I held it to my head, grasped Sarah’s hand. Her wedding ring cut into the flesh of my hand. That was all the encouragement that I needed.

I pulled the trigger.