"Wake Me Up Inside" (Olivia)

Just so no one gets confused, this is from the POV of Olivia White, Toby and Lottie's mum. Please comment and vote! :)

What can you do when you’ve got nowhere to go?

“Don’t jump.”

His voice came from behind me.

“Don’t come any closer.” My voice came thick with tears, like lumpy custard. The cold wind stung my cheeks. I was seventeen, and I was hanging off the side of a cliff with the North Sea crashing below me. I’d done my research. Five minutes in that freezing soup, and its severe hypothermia and brain damage. That’s if I survived the towering waves smashing up the cliff. Eight minutes and my heart would give out. It was quick, but not quick enough.

“Just step away from the edge. Please.” His voice came urgently.

“You don’t care,” I shot bitterly. “You’re just like the others, just wanting to play ‘hero’.”

“No,” he said. “You know that’s not true.”

“There’s nothing left for me here,” I said quietly, glancing down into the black bowels of the sea. I heard his footsteps behind me. “Don’t come any closer,” I snapped, turning. He was young, I could see that. The collar of his coat was turned up against the wind. His eyes were blue, like forget-me-nots, and he had a strong jaw, and a handsome face. His hair was chestnut brown and cut to just the right length. His hands looked strong, and secure. He held them out to me.

“Just step away,” he said. “Just step away.” His voice hinted a slight Liverpool accent.

My footing slipped, and suddenly I was falling, screaming. I flailed for a bush growing from the side of the cliff, and my fingers curled around the sharp vines, cutting into the buttery softness of my fingers. I cried out, and suddenly, hands curled around mine.

“Hold on,” He gasped. “I’ll pull you up.” I cried and howled with the pain, and the sheer terror.

“Let go.” He urged. I shook my head and hung on harder.

“Let go, or you will die,” he said bluntly.

So I did as he told me, and I let go.

He pulled me up, and we lay, gasping and crying on the grass with the waves shaking the cliffs, and the gulls screaming.

His lips fitted to mine perfectly, and he seemed to thaw me out. His hands could fit round the whole of my waist. “You’re beautiful,” he said.

That was only the first time that Drew White saved my life.