Wise Men Part One

On Monday, Sarah still wasn’t back at school, and we were taught by cover staff. There was a rumour floating that the fall had caused her to miscarry a baby. A nasty knot wrapped itself around my insides. I knew it was too risky to visit her, but I couldn’t keep my mind off her.

The house had been quiet since Lottie left with dad. I got a text from her before school.

Luk afta mum. Dad sends his luv.

I deleted the text. Dad would never ‘send his love’. He was so wrapped up in his hatred for mum that he couldn’t love anything ever again. I knew deep down that he was only taking Lottie to spite mum and set her off again. I sighed.

Mum had been in a bad way since Lottie had gone. She sat in the living room most of the time, drinking cheap wine and smoking, even though it affected her bipolar medication. She had lost something about her.

“Mate, what’s up?” Squizz’s hand clamped on my shoulder. It took me a moment to realize I was crying. I shook my head, and the tears too.

“It’s nothing,” I murmured quietly. Because it was true. My problems meant nothing. Dad had seen to that.

****

After school, Squizz pulled me to one side away from Ben and Marc.

“You’re coming with me, mate.” He steered me with much protest into a battered Ford Ka. “Remember I said I owed you one after you helped me with those papers?” I nodded suspiciously. “Well this is it.” Before I could say another word, the car was spinning out of the school car park. I sent a quick text to mum.

Wont b home 4 a bit. Goin out with squizz… wants to show me sumthin. Back soon xx

Mum no longer picks me up from school. I normally have to walk home.

“Where are we going?” I called over the pounding of Squizz’s Tinie Tempah CD. He winked.

“Mate, you just wait and see!” And he swerved off the road, straight into the path of a lorry.

"Squizz!" I screamed, reaching desperately for the steering wheel...

To be continued!