Wise Men Part Two

Squizz swerved onto the pavement and slammed on the brakes as the lorry roared past. 

“Bloody hell!” I screamed, my hands were white-knuckled, gripping the tough fabric of the seat. Squizz was bent over the steering wheel, panting as though he’d run a mile. Ironically, “Written in the Stars” was blaring from the tinny speakers. I reached for the dial. The whole car was engulfed in silence. “Squizz, don’t ever do that to me again, mate.” Squizz lifted his head and nodded solemnly.

“Jesus Christ, Tobes. That was one hell of a ride.” Then, he started to laugh. Shakily at first, then harder. I joined in. After a moment, he re-joined the traffic and we headed out of town. “Hey, Tobes, would you pull the glove box open and play track twenty of the top CD?” I obliged, picking up an Elvis album: ELV1S: 30 #1 Hits and skipped to track twenty. ‘Can’t Help Falling in Love’ started playing.

“I didn’t know you were an Elvis fan.” I was surprised. Squizz smirked.

“He’s a proper legend, innit. What a guy!” I sat back, and listened to the lyrics. It reminded me strongly of my relationship with Sarah:

Wise men say only fools rush in

but I can't help falling in love with you

Shall I stay

would it be a sin

If I can't help falling in love with you

Like a river flows surely to the sea

Darling so it goes

some things are meant to be

take my hand, take my whole life too

for I can't help falling in love with you

Like a river flows surely to the sea

Darling so it goes

some things are meant to be

take my hand, take my whole life too

for I can't help falling in love with you

“Here we are, bruv.” I realized we had pulled up in the hospital car park. “You go get your woman, bruv. I’ll be right here waiting for you.”