Meeting Mrs Locke (Toby)

Hey! Sorry this is a short chapter, but I can promise the next one is from the POV of Sarah Locke. :) Looking forward to writing it!

Please comment and vote :) Thanks!

Agate followed me around all morning, nattering in my ear. Thankfully, once period four swung round, I was able to get rid of her; I was in a higher set than her for English.

My English class was with an ‘S. Locke’ in room 65. I wondered where I’d heard that name before.

“Hey Tobes, my man!” It took me a moment to notice I had just walked into Squizz, the guy I’d met in reception earlier.

“Hey!” He clapped me on the back, before turning to two guys stood behind him. “Toby White, meet Ben and Marc. He leaned over in mock secrecy. “Marc’s gay, just so you know.” I stared at Marc, and he punched Squizz’s arm playfully.

“God, Squirrel-face, don’t scare the poor kid!” Marc threw a girly punch at Squizz's ribs, then reached to flatten his hair. Squizz laughed, and ruffled it up again. Suddenly, there was a waft of lemony perfume.

“Boys, if you want to fight, please take it outside, away from me.” I looked up to see a honey of a woman. She was really skinny with thick dark hair and the most beautiful brown eyes I’d ever seen. Wow, I thought. Her eyes flicked over to me, and seemed to absorb me for a moment. I drank in her appearance before she disappeared through the classroom door.

“Whoa.” I hissed to Squizz, “Who the hell is that?”

That,” said Squizz dramatically, “Is Mrs Locke. She's married to Mr Locke, you know...”

Very unwelcome images began flying around my head. Ben, Marc, and Squizz began to titter, nudging each other, probably guessing what I was thinking of.

“She’s…” I trailed off breathlessly, “… wow.” Squizz laughed, nudging Marc and Ben.

“See that? Old Tobes has got the hots for Mrs Locke.” Marc laughed, while Ben inhaled sharply.

“You wouldn’t be the first,” he said quietly.

I filed into the classroom, parking myself at the back with Squizz, Marc and Ben. The classroom was quiet, too quiet. She held us all under her spell.

I was fastening my bag when I smelt it again, that lemony perfume.

“Toby White?” Her voice sent shivers down my spine

“That’s me." I looked up at her. It was alarming how close she was to me. I only had to reach out with one finger and I'd be touching her waist. Looking at her was like seeing a bright light; it burned my eyes.

“I need to see you at the end of the lesson.” She walked away towards the front of the class, and I watched her backside swish in her tight pencil skirt.

“What does that mean?” I leaned across to Squizz. He was smiling, a sparkle in his dark eyes.

“Mate, you’re in there,” he whispered, winking.