Chapter 24

“Set Fire to the Rain”

2011 © All Rights Reserved

Chapter 24

     Liam came awake with a blinding headache.  The back of his head was throbbing and it took him a long minute to fully gain his bearings after being knocked out for the second time today. 

     Slowly, he started to open his eyes and had to squint because of the bright light that was illuminating the room.  He tried to pull his hand up to his face in an attempt to shade them and realized that he couldn’t lift them.  Glancing down; even through the haze in his vision he could see that he was hand cuffed to a chair.

     “Dammit!” He swore loudly and jerked hard at the restraints.  It was a fruitless effort at best.  The cuffs they had on him were steel and with the collar around his neck; he couldn’t do a thing about it.  He was stuck.

     A wave of nausea washed over him and he had to still himself in order for it to pass.  While he sat there breathing deeply; memories assaulted his mind from earlier in the day.  The meeting at the old gas station; waking up in the van to see Hope; Joey holding a gun to Hope’s head,

     Joey holding a gun to Hope’s head. 

     He stopped there as that image branded itself in his mind; chilling him to the bone.  The moment that he threatened her like that Liam promised himself that Joey would die.  It would be a slow and painful death and it would be at his hands.  Joey’s days were certainly numbered.

     The sound of the door opening up behind him dispelled the image.  He turned his head to the side and waited for whomever walked in to make their self known.  He heard the sound of boots clopping against the tile floor as the person neared him.

     "Welcome to out humble abode."  The sound of a chair screeching along the floor grated on Liam's ears.  The chair was pushed beside of him and an older gentleman came around and sat down in it.  "The name's Jackson.  Jackson Loggins."

     Liam nodded at that but didn't bother to look at the man.  He didn't have to look at him to know who he was-  he already knew.  "You must be Joey's father," he remarked dryly not really caring who the old man was.  Right now, he was more interested in finding out where they had taken Hope.

     The man chuckled lowly.  "Perceptive," he drawled out and bent over, settling his hands on his knees.  "I bet you're one of them straight shooters too."

     Liam just shrugged.  "When it suits."

     The man snorted and his breath wafted in Liam's direction; reeking of soured garlic.  He wanted to gag right then and there but held back the urge and started to breathe though his mouth.  He refused to show any of these bastards a sign of weakness.  

     "So," the Jackson started again when it was evident that Liam wasn't going to prolong the conversation.  "I hear that you might know where the amulet is?"

     Again Liam shrugged with all of the non-chalance in the world.  He wasn't willing to give this guy a damn thing, not until he had some answers for himself.  "I might."