Chapter 5

“Set Fire to the Rain”

2011 © All Rights Reserved

Chapter 5

Every few minutes or so Hope would let out these small whimpering noises resembling something a keen to the helpless cries of an injured pup.  Those sounds struck a chord deep down in Liam that he didn’t want to be touched, didn’t need to be touched with his current way of life. 

Helping this girl that was also known as the most popular girl in their class was only a means in trying to protect his own identity he told himself over and over as he drove.  He couldn’t afford to have Hope’s oblivious manner bring the Special Forces to his door step.  More determined than ever, Liam had already made the decision that he would get Hope Master's through this night, tell her what she was and then send her on her way.  That was it.  Nothing more.

Liam pulled up to the old mine and let out a deep breath that he hadn’t even realized he had been holding.  Running his hands roughly through his hair in agitation; he glanced over at Hope whom was still curled up on her side in the fetal position.  A tinge of regret settled within him as he watched her writhe in pain.  No one ever asks to be born a lyric.  You are given that rite by blood and lineage.  Life wasn’t easy for their kind and now Ms. Disney Princess was being thrown into it head first, whether she was ready for it or not.

The night around them was veiled in pitch black darkness and the silence engulfing them was strangely deafening considering the events that was happening to the innocent girl sitting beside him.  It was like nature was set out on making a mockery of the havoc that was being ordained on Hope’s body, peacefulness be damned.

Shutting off the headlights and jerking the keys out of the ignition Liam opened his door and stepped out into the cool night air.  His feet now firmly on the ground, all Liam could do was stand there for a second and look up at the moon lit sky.  

Memories of his father and the fateful night of his own eighteenth birthday suddenly assailed him.  Liam’s father had brought him to this very mine and sat vigil by his side the entire night dousing his brow with a cool cloth and murmuring quiet reassurances until the whole nightmare was over and Liam was “re-born” with his new powers. 

Three days later his father was captured by the Special Forces and killed on their own front doorstep right in front of him.  Liam squeezed his eyes closed at that particular image and let all the feelings wash over him like an angry tidal wave.  He vowed to himself that some how, one day he would make them pay.  His father would be avenged if it was the last thing he accomplished in this mere existence of his that people call life.      

It was only after Hope let go a shrilling scream from the passenger seat that Liam was wrenched back to the present.  Shaking off his own memories from that night he jogged around to the other side of the truck and opened the door.  Hope held her head with both hands and pleaded, “Make it stop, for the love of all that is holy, please make it stop.”  Her face was pale and tear streaked as she begged Liam for mercy.

Trying not to think about what Hope was going through, he reached in and picked her up bridal style.  Her skin was blistering hot to the touch and her dress was soaked with perspiration.

“Jesus” he muttered kicking the door to his truck closed.  Liam suddenly felt a sense of urgency grip him to get Hope down into the cooler depths of the mine.  He vaguely recalled the hell he went through and knew the worse was yet to come.