'Twas the Mission Before Christmas

Start from the beginning

"Really, Adam? A santa hat with a mission suit?" Chase rose an eyebrow.

"Hey, if the ladies at the bank can wear them at work, so can I." Adam protested, which kinda made a point.

"I can't re-establish contact with Dr. Evans. The volcano must've knocked out satellite communications." Donald told us, gravely.

"So, Dr. Evans is the guy who stays at Facility X?" I asked to be caught up in the info.

"Yeah. There's a giant ash cloud that has plunged the area into total darkness. There is no way rescue teams will be able to get through." Donald further showed a hologram of the facility on the cyberdesk.

"Well, that means Dr. Evans is trapped." "And needs our help." Bree and I said.

"Well, he's better off. The airports are packed this time of year." Adam laughed as I shook my head, signaling him to stop. 

"There's an automated transport ready to take you up there, but without satellite communications, Leo and I won't be on comm set." Donald informed.

"Ah, well, it will be tough navigating through a mission without the constant sound of Leo chomping on carrot sticks." Chase sarcastically smiled before the trio left towards the garage.

"We'll be safe, I promise!" I told the two after chuckling.

"You know I'm a stress eater!" Leo called out as we went on the transport. Hopefully this mission will go according to plan.

-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-

"We ready?" I asked the three while wrapping my jacket closer to me. Guess I'll have to modify this when we get back. Heaters are malfunctioning.

"Yup!" "Let's go." "Do you think he has a Christmas tree there?" Adam said the last part and I smiled.

"Well, one way to find out." We step into the facility and we looked around the area. Has a nice...ambiance...to it, I guess? Barrels and other things look like they were brought down due to the aftershocks, but other than that, the place seems fine.

"Oh good, you made it!" A man with a lab coat, 2 button up shirts, and viking hat on him came towards us. There were wires wrapping around the two horns the hat had and it didn't look like something for Christmas cheer. His voice was low and sounded like a southern man.

"Uh, did we really just risk our lives to save a guy in a viking helmet?" Bree deadpanned as I sighed.

"Oh, this?" He gestured to his hat. "This is my TV antennae. When the ash cloud clears, I get great reception. All two eskimo channels!" He explained to us.

"Uh, fantastic? I guess?" I cheered with a confused smile.

"Is everything okay here?" Chase questioned seriously.

"Well, the volcano really shook things up. Communications are down, and the pizza guy is four years late." He joked about the last part and I rolled my eyes at how bad the joke was. "But other than that, I'm good!"

"Great, another genius with bad jokes. Merry Christmas to me." Bree sarcastically thanked as I patted her shoulder.

"Wow. I can't believe I'm finally getting to meet the bionic super-humans I've been hearing so much about!" Dr. Evans cheered.