Chapter 5- Part 4

I give Carlisle a nod and briefly turn my head again to the mirror. I lean in closer to the mirror. I do not even recognise myself with the colour of my eyes as they are now. I blink, and blink again, and the image in the mirror does the same. Yep, it's me.

I hear a chuckle behind me and immediately recognise it as Jake. I turn around to face him, frowning. "I'm glad that you find me so amusing," I say, my voice drenched in sarcasm as I roll my eyes.

"Stop stressing, they'll go back soon enough."

"Jake, I'm sorry but we really should go hunting," dad interrupts Jake's and my banter. "Bella and I didn't yesterday as we wanted to be here for Nessie and she just woke also." Dad doesn't need to say anymore, Jake would be fully aware that from the change and the physical exertion it has placed on my body I would need to be replenished.

Jake nods. "Sure thing. I'll go home and let the others know that Nessie is okay," he responds.

"I'll walk you out," I say to Jake. We both leave dad's old room, walking towards the front entrance. Everything feels so... normal, well . . . normal for me. It amazes me that I was in absolute agony only two days ago and was unconscious less than an hour ago. Now here I am, awake and completely fine.

"So when will I see you?" I ask as I open the front door for him, remembering that our time a few days ago was cut short.

"After you hunt. You can come visit me if you like at my place as that's where I'll most likely be."

I smile. Of course I would visit, I'd love to see Mr Black and the others. "Deal." I hug Jake and he wraps his arms around me tightly. I rest my head into his chest and I can hear his heart beating. I raise my head, looking up at him. He leans down to kiss me softly before moving away. I sigh, disappointed at his soft kiss.

"Okay, so I'll see you then," I say. I still have my head against his chest and I can hear the steady rhythm of his heart beat. I move my head away, although I do not believe I would ever hurt Jake, the thirst I am experiencing right now . . . I just do not want to test that.

"I'll see you later," Jake responds. Jake turns and leaves, running into the forestry that surrounds the Cullen property. I find myself staring after him.

"Nessie!" I hear mum call out.

"Coming," I yell out to her, turning my head towards the stair way. I turn back to face the forestry and get a final glimpse of Jake before he turns behind a tree further into the bush. I let out a sigh before walking back inside and closing the door. I run upstairs and find mum and dad still in dad's old room.

"Are we going now?" I ask.

Mum gives me a brief nod before walking towards an open window that faces the forest surround the house.

"Whoa hold on a minute, you want me to jump out of the window?" I ask, shock evident in my voice. I'm aware of vampire capabilities but mum and dad as I was ageing always remained on the cautious side with me, due to not being sure the effect things would have on my human side. I look down, the height making my head spin.

"We always did this, your dad is already down there. Look," mum points down to the ground outside near a tree. I see dad leaning against a tree.

"I am not jumping out of the window," I say, ready to turn to leave the room and go downstairs.

Mum shakes her head. "Not now that you've stopped ageing. It's not dangerous Nes, trust me," she says reassuringly. I shake my head despite mum's attempt at reassurance. "Would I put you in danger?"

"No, but I-"

"Let's go then," she interrupts me, smiling. I sigh and look out the window and down to the ground. I know I will be able to do it, probably could blind folded and purely rely on my other senses, but it does not change the fact that we're on the second floor . . . that we are really high. "I will be right behind you," she assures me again.

I let out a deep sigh. "Fine," I say reluctantly.

I know if I walk over to the edge that I will freak out and not jump so, instead, I walk towards the door. Before I can think better of it, I start in a run to the open window. When I get to the edge I jump, effortlessly. I reach the ground within a second and land perfectly, crouched with my two hands planted on the ground.

"Child's play," dad says to me. As I straighten myself I look at him and catch his smile at me.

"Don't know what I was afraid of," I answer.

"We should get going," mum says from behind me, startling me.

"When did you jump?" I ask. I didn't even hear her land on the ground.

"Just after you."

I nod. "Okay, let's go," I say. We usually run as soon as we get out but dad and mum are just walking. It's became eerily quiet, an awkward silence washing over us. "What's up?" I ask slowly, not sure what the issue is.

"How much do you remember? Of your change?" dad asks me.

I think for a moment before answering. "I remember the pain, and you all being there. Jake took me to the house," I say, remembering the pain beginning whilst we were out and Jake pleading to take me to Carlisle. "My head felt like it was on fire," I murmur, shuddering at the memory.

"Anything else?" mum asks.

"I remember you and dad speaking to Carlisle about it but I can't remember what you were saying." I think about it for a bit. "I also remember Jake having a go at you two about something."

"He was scared for you. That's all." Dad shares a quick glance with mum. What the. . ? I know they won't answer me if I ask what's going on . . . I know something is wrong, but I decide to bring it up again later.

"That's all I remember," I say, accepting that I won't win a battle now by asking what is going on.

"Are you sure? Nothing else?"

"No. Why?" I ask, attempting to find out more however knowing I won't have any luck.

"Okay. Let's hunt," dad says, ignoring my question of why. Mum and dad beginning running ahead of me. I sigh and follow, accepting that I will have to bring it up again later. We begin running throughout the forest, waiting to find an animal nearby.