Chapter 5- Part 3

I open my eyes and I am laying in the meadow. I sit up, confused. Was that all a dream just then? The pain felt so . . . real. I raise my hand to brush my fingers through my hair. I was just at the Cullen house wasn't I? On their couch? I shake my head, dismissing the thought. I stand up, realising I am alone. What is going on? I take a few steps before hearing running water. There isn't a river near the meadow, there's one further up but not this close. I find myself walking towards it and I see Jake, looking into the distance near the water. I begin walking up to him. He seems . . . taller? As I near the water I notice Jake is deep in thought, staring ahead of him at nothing.

I stop when I am beside him and I gasp at my reflection in the water. What the- I find a younger version of myself staring back at me. Oh. It was all real, the pain, all of it. I must still be unconscious. My reflection shows me that I am only about . . . twelve? Maybe thirteen? I am unsure. I turn to look up at Jake, he hasn't seemed to notice me. "Jake?" I ask.

He turns to face me and smiles. "Hey Nessie," he says, giving me a hug and picking me up. I laugh, remembering this day. My thirteenth birthday, well, based on Carlisle's predictions on my physical age I was roughly thirteen. I remember asking my parents that morning if I could begin school, as I had already began slowing down the ageing process. My parents, of course, refused and I ran out upset, Jake followed and we ended up here. Of course he eventually convinced me to go back. He has always been there for me, even to speak logically when I did not want to hear it.

I want to savour the memory, stay in it and spend time with Jake here, distract me from what caused this memory, this dream . . . the pain. Jake places me down, beginning to talk and advises that I should go back and celebrate my birthday, just as I remember he did. However despite his efforts I cannot hear him, I squint in pain when I feel the throbbing in my temples. I try to talk, to stay in this moment but find my vision going cloudy, eventually darkness consumes me once more.

~*~*~*~

"How long will she be out?" I hear someone ask. Their voices seems distant but close at the same time.

"It's typically a couple of days, but hopefully sooner," a soft female voice responds. I think it's my mother.

I hear a sigh and realise Jake asked the question. I feel Jake's hand wrapped around mine, he must be sitting close beside me.

Open your eyes, dammit! I find myself cursing myself, unable to control my body. Unable to squeeze Jake's hand back, let alone open my eyes. I'm listening Jake! I'm here.

"Nes?" Jake asks.

Oh my, did he-

"What?" mum asks.

"I heard her," he sighs in relief. "Nes, I'm right here. Open your eyes," he says, squeezing my hand. I find enough strength to squeeze his hand in return as I strain to open my eyes.

My eyes finally obey and I find myself looking at the ceiling. I wondered if there would be any differences, as my mother and everyone else experienced, but there isn't. I feel the complete same. I am relieved at this, I didn't want to change. I want to stay who I am . . . just me. I find myself pleading in my head that I can still feel Jake's warmth. That I will be able to eat and enjoy normal food still without being repulsed by it. I wonder if I will require blood more often now... especially after just experiencing a type of change. I am unsure. After the thought of blood I find a burn in my throat, with the thirst for blood.

I turn my head slightly and find myself looking right into Jake's eyes. His brown, gorgeous eyes bore into mine. His eyes are filled with . . . worry? Concern? All of the above.

"Nes?" Jake asks again. I respond by giving him a faint smile.

"Hey," I respond. I sit up and realise I am in dad's old room on the bed. Jake is sitting on the bed beside me and mum is sitting on the edge of the bed by my legs.

"Oh thank goodness. Renesmee, how are you feeling?" mum asks.

"As if nothing has happened," I admit. "Strange," I mutter, remembering the pain I endured.

"I'll grab Edward and Carlisle. I'm so glad you're awake sweetie," mum says. Mum plants a gentle kiss on my forehead before leaving the room.

"How long have I been out for?" I ask Jake, brushing my fingers through my hair. I guess it's a nervous habit.

"It's been two days today. Nes . . . your eyes" – he begins.

"What?" I interrupt. I get up and within a split second I am standing in front of the mirror on the opposite side of the room. I look at myself in the mirror. I look the exact same as before. I am about to sigh in relief before I take in the colour of my eyes. Instead I sigh in frustration.

"Oh great," I moan. "How long are they red for?" I ask.

"I'm unsure but I think a couple of months," Jake answers hesitantly.

"Perfect, all I want is red eyes," I sigh, studying my face in the mirror. I miss my chocolate brown eyes already.

"It won't be forever. And off that, how are you feeling?" Jake asks nervously. He stands from the bed and slowly walks over to me. What is he doing? Is he- is he afraid of me?

"I'm okay Jake, really. Nothing has changed. Well . . . besides these," I say, pointing at my eyes. And I'm thirsty, my mind adds silently. I ignore the comment. "Have you been here the whole time?"

He nods. "I wanted to be here when you woke," he answers, smiling.

"Thank you for being here," I say, closing the gap between us that Jake has left. I wrap my arms around him and am relieved when he doesn't hesitate. He wraps his arms around my neck, bringing me in close. I take in his scent, and happiness consumes me when I still feel his warmth.

"I will always be here for you Nessie. Always."

"Where's the others?" I ask, stepping out of his embrace to again look at myself in the mirror, studying my eyes. Ugh, they're so . . . red.

Just at that mum re-enters the room with Edward and Carlisle.

Dad wraps me in a hug and immediately after, Carlisle does the same. "How are you feeling Renesmee?" Carlisle asks.

"As if nothing happened, no pain or anything. No evidence of the change apart from my eyes. Will they go back to my colour – or will they turn to the same as yours?" I ask. I really hope they go back to normal but I don't think they will.

"I'm uncertain. Sorry Nes, however I am glad to know you're feeling much better."

"All of us had to deal with the eyes. After a couple of months they'll change, whether it's the golden brown from our way of life or go back to yours though we won't know," dad adds.

I don't particularly want to ask in front of Jake, but he has known my family long enough. I hope he won't be uncomfortable by this.

"And the thirst?" I ask.

"That will ease, you just need to replenish yourself. For energy," Carlisle responds. I look at Jake and relief washes over me when he shows no grimace or concern by my question.