Chapter 4- Part 4

Jake and I are silent for a while, just relaxing. He begins twirling a strand of my hair around one of his fingers. I laugh.

'My hair gets knotted so easily, can you just leave it?" I ask. He keeps doing it, I sigh. "If my hair gets all tangled and knots in it I'm blaming you."

"So . . . when are your parents allowing you to start school?"

"Well technically I have been because I've been home schooled," I say.

"You know what I mean."

"Whenever I stop ageing, and they still don't know when that will be. I think it'll be really soon though because I am sixteen now and dad is seventeen and mum is eighteen so I should stop ageing soon."

"Oh okay," Jake responds.

I think about that for a second, about what I just said. Am I onto to something here? I decide to mention it to Jake, to see how plausible this may be.

"Do you know how I felt queasy and light headed before?" I ask. Jake nods. "Maybe that's got to do with the whole process to stop ageing. Carlisle said because I'm half human I do have human blood in me. Maybe I have to go through some sort of change to turn into a complete vampire. That my body knows how old I have to be and begins the process automatically." After I say this I know that this has got to be what is happening. I have a strong feeling that this is right. I just hope I don't go through it unconscious for three days.

Jake thinks about it for a minute. "You could be right. As I have no idea what else could be causing what I saw you going through earlier. Vampires do not get sick and you have signs of being ill. Pity we don't know anyone personally that has gone through all of this. But how do we know if this is what it is and not something else?"

"I know, Jake. After I said it to you aloud I know I'm right. I just have a feeling." Usually when I have a feeling it's correct so this gets his attention.

"If you are already experiencing this we have to take you to Carlisle."

"I'm fine," I say, trying to argue but when Jake's mind is made up there is no changing it. Jake is right though, Carlisle is a doctor so the best chance I have is with him. No one knows what is going on with me because they don't know anyone in the same circumstances, but at least if I go to Carlisle I have a fighting chance of getting through it.

"Okay," I say. Jake stands up, reaching out his hands to me to help me get up. I grab his hands and he pulls me up. I think I got up too quickly because as soon as I stand up I begin to feel really dizzy and light headed again. I stumble and fall on to the grass. I close my eyes for a minute trying to block out the throbbing in my head. I immediately reach my hands up to my temples, squeezing the sides of my head. I squint my eyes firmly closed, not knowing what else to do. I am conscious of Jake beside me, he is trying to remove my hands from the side of my head but my hands will not budge.

"Oh Nes, please stop . . ." his words are lost under the throbbing piercing through my head.

"No, please stop, please stop, please . . ." I trial off, repeating the phrase over and over again. I cannot deal with the pain anymore; I scream out in pain.

"Nes!? Renesmee!?" I hear Jake say to me, still trying to pry my hands from the side of my head. I open my eyes and Jake sighs in relief. The strength behind my hands reduces and Jake pulls my hands from my head.

"What?" I ask, seeing the fear in his gaze and his eyes wide.

"What? You have been on the floor, not opening your eyes or even moving for nearly twenty minutes. I wanted to try and pick you up but I was occupied trying to stop you digging into the sides of your head," he says, upset. I raise my hand to the side of my head, feeling that my head is damp. I move my hand away and it is covered in blood. I must have been digging in to my temples so hard that I cut into my skin. I know that the wound has probably healed however the blood is drying on the side of my head. I raise my hand to the other side of my head and it is the same.

"They were only closed for a minute," I correct him.

"Trust me, it was longer." I look at Jake and he is so worried. It's killing him to see me like this and it's killing me to see how hurt he is. I do as Jake says to not worry him any further. Jake helps me stand back up but doesn't let go of my waist.

"I'll carry you, okay? Put an arm around my neck."

"Jake, why can't I just hop on your back?" I ask. As soon as the words come out of my mouth the pain returns in my head. I quickly grab a hold on his shoulder. "Jake," I murmur before collapsing.

Before I have a chance to fall to the ground Jake scoops me up into his arms, carrying me.

"You have no strength, you might fall."

I nod, no longer having the energy to argue with him. He walks back to Carlisle's and I wonder why he is not going faster. I soon realise as he keeps watching me, obviously not being able to run as he will not be able to look down at me. I push my head into his chest, one arm around his neck and the other massaging my temple.

My eyelids feel heavy and I close my eyes. "Don't Nes, I don't want you to be like that again but longer. Try to keep your eyes open."

"I'm trying," I say. Behind my eyes feel sore, as if strained. I try to keep them open as Jake has asked but it is so painful. If I close them for just a minute it won't be so bad . . .

"Try harder." I can feel Jake's body warmth, feeling safe in his arms. I squint my eyes again at the pain. "Nes, keep your eyes open," Jake pleads again, however his voice sounds softer, much further away.

"I guess when I change I probably won't feel your warmth, or the wind, or any of the other stuff. Why can't I just be a vampire like this forever? I still get the luxuries of being human. I won't for long," I say, disappointed. I am assuming all of these things will change, but am hoping they won't.

"Nes, open your eyes!" Jake says.

"I'm sorry Jake, I can no longer fight it," I say, before welcoming the dark, closing my eyes, giving in hoping that the pain will stop.