Chapter 1- Part 1

"Hurry up Nessie," mum calls up to me from downstairs. I slide one of my headphones behind my ear to hear my mum properly.

"What now," I murmur under my breath, pausing the episode of Riverdale I was watching. Damn, it was just getting to the drama, I think.

"Grandpa Charlie is here."

I close my laptop and slide off my bed, running downstairs to meet up with mum and dad, but more so wanting to see Grandpa – he loves Riverdale as much as I do. I find it funny, an old man watching a teenage drama.

"Stop calling me Nessie, how old am I? Five?" I ask. As soon as the words are spoken I regret it immediately. I sigh, knowing they will now give me a history lesson on my own life.

"Renesmee, although Carlisle has given an estimate of your age to be around sixteen, in human years you are six, if you want to be logical," my dad, Mr. Know It All Edward Cullen, retorts.

"Almost seven in human year's thank you," I say, resulting in my dad laughing and nodding. "But I'm not, as you mentioned I have the mentality and physical age of a sixteen year old."

"It wasn't long ago that you were," mum, the oh-so-helpful, Bella chimes in.

"I'm sixteen," I reply, matter of fact. "Anyway, why can't I go to a normal school like you now? I can deal with it, you know I can."

"You know you can't because you age rapidly and it will stir too many questions, until-"

"I know, until I stop aging -most likely around the ages you two are- I cannot go to school. It's just not fair, and I have slowed down ageing, probably will stop any day now as you were both seventeen and eighteen," I say, giving them a little history lesson of their own.
"And what are you going to say anyway?" I turn to mum. "That you're daughter is the same age as you?" I ask.

"You will be a cousin of mine or your fathers, we have sorted that out already," mum responds. I sigh, rolling my eyes, of course she has an answer to that. I was about to say something else, hoping that my so called 'perfect' parents haven't thought of everything but I overhear someone approaching our home, knowing Gramps is finally here.

"Now, he knows what we are but-"

"Need to know basis," I finish for mum, rolling my eyes. "You are aware you say that every time?-" I see mum open her mouth to respond. "I get it!" I add before she can, causing mum to close her mouth and not say whatever she was about to.

She gives me a curt nod and we walk to the front door to greet Grandpa Charlie, or Gramps as I call him. He doesn't like it much, but as his only, and forever only, grandchild he does not get to choose, I did. I laugh briefly to myself, biting my lip, remembering the first time I called him that. It was about five years ago, I think I was five or six physically but only about three in human years. . .

~*~*~*~

"Hey Grandpa," I say, my hands resting on my legs around his shoulders. I love when Grandpa allows me to get carried on his back, I feel so tall.

We are coming back to Grandpa's from a picnic in a park near his house. I was playing with Jake and the others at the park. Seth is one of the most fun to play with as he would hold me whilst going down the slides. Despite having no one I know my age I always have many people to play with, and I think it helps that their mental age is probably the same as mine sometimes. I love playing with Jake and the others wolves, their warmth brings me comfort. Although Jake is much older than me he is probably my best friend.

"Yeah kiddo?" Grandpa responds, bringing me out of my thoughts.

"I saw in a movie that kids have funny nicknames for their grandparents and stuff and I heard one I wanna call you," I say, grinning and laughing.

I hear Jake laugh beside us, shaking his head. I had watched a movie with Jake the night before and asked if he thought Grandpa would allow me to call him a nickname. His response was that Grandpa would allow me to call him anything I wanted, as everyone 'loves me to bits'. I look at Jake and he winks at me. I laugh.

Grandpa chuckles to himself. "Yeah?" He asks once he stops. "And what's that?"

"Gramps," I respond.

"Gramps? I like the sound of that kiddo, Gramps it is," he says as he lifts me off his back, swinging me upside down.

~*~*~*~

Before I open the door and can physically see him I can smell him. Although the smell of humans can be a trigger for vampires human blood doesn't really bother me, probably because I have been around it a lot with Jake and the pack and all. Probably also as I have been able to live off blood or normal food. As I have started to slow down ageing though I do need blood more, however I do not need to hunt as regularly as my family as I can still function off regular food in between hunts.

I know Jake and the wolves are different, as their shape-snifters, a so-called 'enemy' to vampires so their smell is meant to repulse us, but it doesn't bother me as I have grown up around them, and thus I place them in the same category as humans. I currently try to hunt at least monthly with my family, which seems like enough to keep my strength up. When I miss hunts for too long I tend to develop nausea and reduced strength and capabilities, so it is easy to tell when I am due to hunt.

I greet Gramps with a massive hug. Gramps measures my height against him, causing me to laugh.

"Hey kiddo, last time I saw you, you looked about-"

"Thirteen?" I ask, he nods. Mum gives me a stern look. "I age quickly, remember? I'm sixteen now. It's getting slower now though, just had a growth spurt is all," I say, smiling up at him. "I wonder if I'll be taller than you."

This makes him laugh. "Good luck with that kiddo," he replies and he gives mum a hug and shakes dad's hand.