Forty-Five

ANU

A woman of high valor and stature, Sid's bua was always very intimidating. She has a permanent scowl stretched across her lips and stern eyes quick to judge. She's only a few years older than maa but by no means does she look it. Her high cheekbones and black hair tied in a high bun give her a striking youthfulness against her mature persona.

We've never bonded in all the time Sid and I have been together, I didn't think she liked me very much but after her request for having lunch with me, I was more intrigued by what would come of it than to decline and go some other time with Sid.

I was caught off guard when I saw her dressed in a black straight skirt, white blouse, and a floral blazer as I approached the table. For all the three times I've been around her she has always worn a neatly tailored sari. She offered me an inviting but short smile as we hugged and greeted each other.

The second thing to shake me off my feet a bit was her not waiting for me to seek her blessings in the middle of the restaurant. When I did stoop to the ground to do so she quickly lifted me up by the shoulders prompting me to take my seat.

"How's everything with you and your family?" she asks going over the menu.

"As good as we can be at a time like this," I reply sneaking a look at her over the menu and dropping my eyes back to the entrees section before she catches me.

"I wish your father a speedy recovery. I know he'll pull through, don't worry he's a fighter," there's a soft glimmer of nostalgia and, dare I say, affection in her eyes. I smile awkwardly deterred by her sudden change of attitude.

"From the look on your face I'm assuming your father never mentioned me before," chuckling, she takes a sip of water, cautiously watching me over the rim of the glass. "He was my brother's best friend; I've known him since I was a young girl. At some point I was even fond of Rahul, but that was a lifetime ago," she smiles shaking her head.

"No fault of your own. It's no secret that the family never approved of my mother. You on the other hand were the ideal match. Explains why you and bua Kalpana and Lavanya get along so well,"

"I take it my nephew and brother have warned you about me,"

"They didn't have to,"

"Sidharth and Neal think the worst of me. I made the tough decisions no one could to save our family and I'm paying for that to this day. Beating myself up over broken ties won't heal them,"

"Once a person's trust in you has been broken it doesn't matter how much you try and mend it, things can never be the same as they once were,"

"There's always two sides to every story," defiance stirs in her dark eyes as she stiffs her shoulders leaning closer to the table.

"Is that why you called me here today? To tell your side?" she swallows hard, clenching her jaw.

"No, I don't owe you any explanation," smirking, she twiddles the silverware between her fingers. "I really asked you to have lunch with me here today because I have a few concerns," she casually sips the blue sweet iced tea and wipes the corners of her mouth with the napkin.

"What might they be?"

"My nephew loves you very devotedly and thinks very highly of you, so highly that he has named you his sole beneficiary in the time of his passing. I'm here to ensure that the legacy of my brother, the blood and sweat he put into Rai Consolidated, stays intact and unblemished,"

"It seems as if you're forgetting that I come from a family of prestige and honor as well. What I value for my own I do the same for Sidharth's family,"