Twenty-Seven

Anu

Anu

"You look absolutely stunning!" Lizzie, my stylist for the art-fashion gala, smiles at me through the mirror. "But you didn't need me to tell you that. You're like overwhelmingly beautiful," squeezing my shoulders, she grins admiring my look for the gala.

Signature smokey eyes and a subtle burgundy-red matte lipstick are the only striking elements of my make-up. My hair in a simple middle part tumbles in thick curly waves over my shoulders and upper back. Lizzie kept everything simple to let the dress do the talking.

Dark violet-purple tulle is styled in an elegant wrap flowing down to the floor in a short train. Delicately rich embroidery pops from the gown's bodice vining down to the hips. The darker colors paradoxes the light airy material creating a glamorously fierce look.

"Thank you for making me feel beautiful, Liz," since I was a teen attending these events, Lizzie has been styling my entire family. Maa vicariously lives through Liz's career in fashion by helping her secure the hottest new designer pieces for us to wear. It's the two of them really who've taught me about clothing and made me love it so much.

"Knock 'em dead," fixing a few tendrils of my hair she nods approvingly.

The small moment of apprehension avails me today. There is no nervousness clouding my chest or anxiousness plaguing my mind, today I feel free. An usher lends out his white-gloved hand helping out of the Rolls Royce onto the crimson red carpet. Camera flashes and shouts from the press don't deter the smile on my lips as I glide down the pathway stopping every so often for photos.

For the first time, ever I'm standing alone as an independent woman. My father isn't here as the patriarch of our family. My mother isn't here as the established woman by his side. It's my moment and it feels amazing. I'm no longer in the shadow of my parents nor in line with my siblings but my own person.

I ascend the steps following the ushers when I spot my dad waiting for me at the top. His honey brown eyes full of remorse stare me down. It's then that I get a good look at my father and see his true age cracking through the wrinkles on the sides of his eyes and dark circles weighing down his usually bright irises.

"You look very beautiful sweetheart," He smiles tenderly, patting my hand wrapped around his elbow as we walk inside. I nod, pulling my lips into my mouth gaging the scrutinizing looks from the other guests. "You should have told us you were attending, we would've come together," I remain silent and he gets his explanation loud and clear.

"Anuksha, your maa is terribly sorry and so am I. Things got escalated that night when they shouldn't have. We just want what's best for you and we know now that it's not always what we think is best, is best for you," squeezing my hand, he sighs with relief but an exhausted heaviness lingers in the air.

"Your mom really wants to speak with you...to apologize. Just hear her out, please," kissing my temple, he signals to the entrance of one of the exhibits where maa is standing. Her dark burgundy lips part in a small smile and even from this distance, I can see the gleam over her green eyes.