Four

Anu

Anu

Three Months Ago

Arm resting on my lap, I trace over a bulging vein from his wrist all the up to his elbow where the sleeve of his crisp white shirt is neatly rolled up. Admiring the size of his hand and the burliness of his arm I rub my fingers over his smooth skin.

The burning intensity of his heated gaze descents over me. Without looking I know his eyes are slightly narrowed, staring at my body. "Have I told you how beautiful you look tonight?" he says lifting my wrist to his mouth, where he presses his wet lips.

"Several times actually," rolling my head to the side, I meet his hooded eyes intently trained on me as we're stopped at the light. Reaching for his face I scratch the stubble on his sharp jaw, enjoying how ticklish it feels against my fingers.

Other than a quick lunch date at the park earlier in the week, this is the first real time we've spent together since the Hamptons. Like a typical young, giddy couple we've been texting and calling back and forth but it doesn't amount to actually being in each other's presence.

Headed towards Lower Manhattan, Sid takes a quiet street down to the East River. Pulling up to the curb outside a fairly vibrant stretch of Indian ethnic stores, he trots around the car opening my door, holding out his hand for me to take.

Passing a few clothing stores and supermarkets, he stops at a small restaurant on the corner moderately busy for a mid-week night. A portly woman with her long black hair braided down her back dressed in a simple sari shows us to our table.

Sectioned off towards the back, along the wall of windows, our table is small and intimate. A single tea light candle in a lotus-shaped crystal holder glimmers in the center of the table covered with a white cloth. Ever the gentleman, Sid pulls out my chair for me, before sitting.

"I hope you like it here. I've only been once before but the food is amazing," scanning the menu he quickly glances over at me.

"I prefer quaint restaurants like this, rather than the posh, pretentious and overpriced ones,"

"Every time we're together you never fail to amaze me, Anuksha," lowering the menu he smiles tenderly. "In our world, it's so easy to get caught up but it hasn't affected you whatsoever. You're boldly sophisticated and unapologetically real. Forgive me, but I'm just so taken by you," speechless, I stammer for words. "It's rare to find good, honest people in the world,"

"It sure is. That's why when I find them, I keep them close," I reach across the table wrapping my hand around his wrist. "I'm falling for you, hard and fast and it doesn't scare me one bit that I am,"

"If you're falling for me and I, you who is going to catch whom?" smirking he gathers my dainty hand within his large ones, pressing the tips of my fingers to his lips.

"I guess we fall together then,"

We get through a round of naan, samosa, and pani puri, when I lean back in my seat already full. Right now, I can't even think of eating another morsel but Sid requested the chef's special for our main course and looks very intent on having a full meal. There's just something though about seeing him eat until he's fully content.