Six

Anu

Anu

My fingers tap restlessly around the plastic coffee cup. Condensation leaking from the sides of the cup of iced coffee runs through the creases of my palm leaving a sticky residue feeling on my skin. Silence between us had never felt so awkward before. After receiving his flowers this morning, I decided against all protests of my mind, to meet him for lunch.

With his impeccable punctuality, chivalrous mannerisms, and delectable charm Sid is making this supposed date even harder than I anticipated it to be. He arrived at my house just on time, coming to the front door to walk me to his car and complimenting me on how beautiful I looked it. It got much worse when he started driving and I heard the Bollywood songs from the playlist I downloaded onto his phone playing softly from the speakers of his car. Cliché, yes but the way he carried himself with such great confidence and the power his voice held, all of what he did and said sounded genuine and well meant.

Initially, I thought we would be shacked up in some restaurant on the East Side barely getting through the entrees of our lunch before one of us left the table when the date became sour with harsh words and arguing over who's right and who's wrong. What I didn't expect was getting my favorite brew of ice coffee and talking a walk in the park, our park.

Sitting on a small wooden bench sealed to the ground by the growing roots of grass, both of us look straight ahead to the East River streaming by only a few feet from where the grass ends and a small concrete pathway runs along the fencing of the river bank. Warm summer winds tickle my skin as the striking sun blares overhead. Thankfully we're shield by the tall oak tree towering over the bench, offering a cool shade only allowing small streams of light to filter through its thick green lush of leaves.

"How are you?" the deep drawl is low and evidently seductive to my ears as it comes out of plump pink lips.

"You asked me that yesterday," sighing with a soft smile I lean back onto the bench sipping the coffee.

"Thank you for seeing me today," the formality in his voice doesn't go unnoticed. Is this a business venture or retribution for taking our relationship and scuffing it under his feet?

"Don't thank me just yet," I rest the coffee cup on the wooden seat of the bench, shaking my hands of the moisture.

"I thought you deserved a better explanation for the unexpected end of our relationship," he gathers my hand in his, forcing our fingers to intertwine in their familiar form together creating a greater havoc in the pit of my stomach.

"If you brought me here to tell me that it was you not me, you aren't ready for a relationship like this or some overused and cringe-worthy break-up line, I would rather drag across hot coals on my bare ass than listen to it," a small smile tugs at his lips but he bites down the corners of his mouth to keep it in.

"I wouldn't want to insult you like that," his hold on my hand continues to intensify as he strokes his thumb over my knuckles.

"At least you're learning from your mistakes, wouldn't want a repeat of what happened in Naples," he holds his usual booming laughter down, only scuffing a bit at my warnings.