Thirty-Nine

ANU

ANU

Bouncing Rohan on my lap, he giggles mumbling in his baby gibberish as I smother his chubby cheeks in kisses. Rohit is engrossed in the cartoon movie playing on the cinema size screen in the theater room of the main house. Stretched out beside me on a red leather recliner, Sid is heavily concentrated on his laptop, his eyes pensively darting across the screen. We decided a relaxing day at home was overdue with the past hectic days and late nights we've had.

"Rohit watch your brother," suddenly, Sid lifts Rohan off my lap placing him next to his brother and pulls me off the recliner. Tugging at my wrist, he drags me towards his dad's old study, slamming the door shut. Dropping the laptop on the mahogany wood desk, he slams his palms against the smooth burgundy-brown surface.

Swallowing hard, he sighs wordlessly pointing to the screen of the computer. "What is it?" tenderly stroking his bicep I scan over the photos displayed on the screen, confused as to why the people pictured are of importance.

"Do you know these people?" he stares down at the desk, gripping the edges hard enough to jab his fingernails through the polished top.

I study the photos some more and then it hits me. The woman from the café! "Yes," he snaps his neck, glaring at me with pure fury burning through his dark eyes. "No...I mean yes, the woman spoke to me for two minutes about what the tabloids were writing about us and Panacea. That was it though," I shrug off, leaning against the desk.

"Oh, just having a friendly conversation with a random stranger!" mockingly he seethes, pounding his large fists against the desk.

"Why are you getting so worked up for?" I curve my fingers against his chin, brushing my knuckles against his sharp, stubbly jaw.

Jerking my hands away, he bounds around the desk hastily taking a seat, yanking the laptop closer. "Tell me everything, word for word, that you spoke about,"

"What's the big deal? She was just some tabloid reader," pressing my palms against the desk, I spread my arms shoulder-width apart, leaning over the top.

"What's the big deal?" he growls, clenching his teeth, staring up at me furious and extremely peeved. "I'll tell you what's the big fucking deal, Anuksha! That woman is the wife of the man who murdered my parents!"

Gaping, I fall back in the chair swallowing the lump balling up in my throat to no avail. I choke on my breath, words stuck in my chest to even begin speaking. "What I can't fucking wrap my head around is the fact that you didn't confide in me this exchange you had, even though I was at the café no later than two minutes after it happened,"

"I-I didn't think anything of it at the time. I'm sorry, Sid," my heart pounds against my eardrums, running my blood hot. Sweat beads on my forehead as I anxiously shake my right leg, digging my fingernails into the palms of my hands from my clenched fists in my lap.