5- unexpected

Chapter 5- Unexpected

I walked into the house and hoped for mum to be out shopping or in her art room painting, but apparently the gods hate me because my mum was sitting there on the couch watching TV.  And to get to my room, I had to walk past her, so I cursed mentally to the gods.

Damn single storey houses with bedrooms in the back and the living room in the front.

“What are you doing home so late?” Mum asked in a venomous voice.  She was probably pissed because I hadn’t talked to her or given her money since our fight when I walked out the door.

“I worked like usual, and I’m not finished yet. I just came here to put my stuff away and grab my stuff for my next job.” I told her like it was the most obvious thing in the world.

“No you’re not going anywhere, missy, until I get money,” She said. Of course she wants money. She probably bought that Louis Vuitton bag she’s been talking to all her friends about, so she needs more to go buy more expensive designer clothes. This, folks, is why I hardly have any money for myself. Heck, I can barely even buy a drink from Starbucks every few days. That’s how much money she drains out of me, but if I don’t want to talk to her I have to give her money.

“I don’t get paid every day, I’m paid weekly.” I lied in a duh tone.

“Well that’s not my problem. I need more money because I can’t look like a poor person in front of my friends,” She said with attitude while assessing her nails for what needed to be fixed on them. I seriously felt like pulling her hair out because I need money to actually buy our groceries and I want to be able to buy some things for me for once.

“Mum, it’s not my problem that I get paid only once a week. In fact, it’s a good thing because some people are paid monthly, so when I get the money I will give it to you,” I said with gritted teeth and clenched fists. Oh how much I would love to punch her in the face now.

“But I want money now,” She whined, sounding like a five year old.

“I don’t care if you want money now; you won’t get any for a few days,” I said slowly then walked up to my room, signalling that the conversation was over. I put my money away in my box behind the wall in my wardrobe. You can never be too careful in a place like this with robbers and not so good people- like me- everywhere. Although I don’t steal stuff, I do get into a fair share of trouble.

Walking back out the door, I grabbed my house keys and headed out to my next job.

Ah so you’ve been wondering what my second job is haven’t you? Most people would tell you now that they have another job and they would start explaining what it is, but what’s the fun in that? I’ll just let you try and guess, but in case you are still wondering by the end I will tell you what my second job is.

“Asha, you’re late,” Boss said as I walked into the one storey building. It’s small and looks abandoned, but it’s definitely not, let me tell you that. It’s not so close to the city, or else it’s easier to be caught by the cops.

“Sorry, I had a fight and my mum was drunk and asking for money again.” I sighed and picked up the package I had to deliver.

“It will turn out ok kiddo,” Boss said and ruffled my hair. I pouted and tried to get his hand off my hair.

“Just because you’re like a father to me doesn’t mean you can act annoying and mess up my hair.” I huffed and pulled his hand off my head with a little too much force.

“Aww I was having some fun teasing you before you leave me and go to Australia,” He said poking his tongue out like a two-year-old. Sometimes I think he is a two year old trapped in a thirty-five-year-old man’s body.