"This must have cost you a fortune," said Lindsay. She was so awed by the gift that she was barely able to find the breath to speak.

"Never mind the cost. Do you like it?" replied Snape.

"I love it." She carefully set the instrument back in its case. Snape was stunned by what she did next. She moved to him, hugged him tightly, and kissed his cheek. He didn't know what to do with his hands, so he kept them at his sides. Feeling her body pressing against him stirred up emotions he wasn't prepared to deal with. He felt guilty so he closed himself off. His face turned marble white, and his eyes became long dark tunnels.

"Excellent," was all he could think to say.

"I didn't think you were listening," said Lindsay as she released him. She thought he'd been ignoring her prattling. Snape didn't respond to the comment and stood rigidly in front of her. "I don't blame you, Professor. You did what you had to do, and so did I. Logically I can understand that, but emotionally I'm still working things out."

Snape nodded and moved away from her. "I trust the Headmaster has told you why you're here."

"He has, yes."

"I will attempt to penetrate your mind; you will attempt to block me. Prepare yourself," said Snape as he drew his wand. Lindsay had barely enough time to draw her own wand before Snape said, "Legilimens." This was nothing like Albus' gentle probing. Lindsay felt as if she'd stepped in front of a speeding train. Every muscle in her body was straining against the force of Snape's mind. Recent memories began to fly through her consciousness at an amazing rate of speed: dinner with the Weasleys, laughing with the twins, consoling Neville after another disastrous DADA class, chatting with Remus and Sirius, lunch with Pomona and Neville. Snape suddenly broke the connection and Lindsay staggered backward a little. She was sweating, and her body trembled from exertion.

"The goal is to block me from entering your mind," said Snape. His arms were folded across his chest while he allowed Lindsay to rest.

"Sorry, Professor, I've never been hit that hard before. You took me by surprise."

"That is the point. Now empty your mind and shut me out." He hit her just as hard as the first time, but she was prepared for the physical strain. Mentally she was unable to cope with the strength of Snape's mind. Older memories began shuffling through her consciousness; memories she would have preferred to keep buried.

She stood in a very old churchyard with a large crowd of other mourners and watched as her parents and siblings were laid to rest. Next to her, holding her hand, was an uncommonly handsome man. He was tall, slim, broad-shouldered, and fair-complected, with dark-blonde hair and flashing dark-green eyes. Many of the women and some of the men present glanced at him frequently during the ceremony.

This memory dissolved and was replaced by another, equally unhappy one. A very young Lindsay lay on her back with the heavy unwelcome weight of a blonde man on top of her. This was the first time it happened, only a couple of weeks after the funeral. She kept her eyes shut tightly. Her hands gripped the sheets. He grunted and the bed squeaked with every vigorous uncaring thrust. His breath reeked of whiskey.

That memory faded and Snape dug up another. Young Lindsay was standing at the top of a staircase. She was in her nightdress and nervously waiting for a tall and very handsome man to climb to the top of the stairs. He smiled as he approached her. His teeth were a lustrous white. "I've been thinking about you all evening," said the man in a pleasant-sounding baritone. He bent down and gently kissed the end of Lindsay's nose. A great flash of blue light erupted before the man's lips lifted away from her, and he was propelled down the long carpeted staircase. He lay at the bottom with his head sitting at a grotesquely odd angle, his gleaming white teeth still visible in a half-faded smile.