Twenty Four

Dan, what the hell are you doing?

I moved the phone away from my ear and hung up before Phil would be able to accept the call.

I hoped that for some reason, he didn't see I called him.

I checked my phone to see if there was anything, but there only was the time. I sighed and went back to sleep.

How can I decide on what's right when you're clouding up my mind?

* * *

My phone's alarm woke me up. With my eyes still closed, I took it from my nightstand and swiped my finger over the screen to make the alarm stop.

I was more than surprised when I heard Phil's voice. "Dan?" I was wide awake immediately.

Oh shit.

I looked over to my phone and realized that it wasn't my alarm that woke me up – it was my phone ringing because someone called me. And I had just picked up.

"Hello?"

Quickly I moved the phone to my ear. "Phil?"
"Yeah, um, you called me tonight?" I checked the time. It was 4:16 am my time, so it was 9:16 am in London.

Just lie. "Uh, yeah. Sorry for that, it was kind of an accident, really." Wow, yeah, he was totally going to believe that.

"Oh." He was silent for a second. "It's nice to hear your voice again, though."

I sighed. "Phil..." I said, this time able to think. My mind wasn't clouded by alcohol as it had been earlier this night.

"I know you're angry with me."

"Then why are you doing this?"

"Because I don't know what else to do."

I sighed again. "Let's not talk about that."

"What do you wanna talk about then?"

I sat up in my bed. "I don't know, I just... Phil, this is-"

"I'm still curious what you're doing in New York."

I rolled my eyes. "And I'm still not allowed to tell you. Phil, I gotta sleep. It's quarter past four in the morning."

"Oh, sorry for waking you up. I forgot about the time zones."

"No problem," I muttered and one hand found its way in my hair.

"Okay... Goodnight then," he whispered.

"Goodnight."

I put my phone away and tried to sleep again. But that was harder than I thought; I missed Phil so much, I wished I could just forgive him.

But I couldn't.

It took me a lot of time because the thought of Phil kept me awake, but eventually I fell asleep.

* * *

I was trapped, and I knew it. There was no way I could get out of here.

The sound of their steps made my heart beat faster with every second passing. They would kill me, there was no chance I'd survive this.

I crouched in the dark corner of the cold room, hoping a miracle would somehow happen and they wouldn't find me.

The sound of steps stopped.

The tip of a cold blade was placed below my chin, forcing me to look up.