Twenty Two

An annoying noise woke me up the next morning. 

It took me an embarrassingly long time to realize it was my phone's alarm to wake me up.

It was 6:15 am and I was ready to jump out of a window, more or less metaphorically.

But today was the big day and I immediately got excited when I realised, which gave me enough energy to get out of bed despite the weird feeling in my stomach.

I couldn't help but also feel a bit nervous. What if I would do something wrong? What if they wouldn't like my work? What if I wouldn't get along with someone? The last time I had fears like that was back in school.

But I decided that right now, I shouldn't worry about that, but rather worry about what I wanted to wear. Of course I had thought about that some days ago already, but I still wasn't completely sure. I wanted to look good, it was a fashion company after all.

As I chose my clothes, I forgot about Phil completely for some minutes.

In the end, I chose a white jumper with red and white roses on the sleeves. After throwing on a black pair of skinny jeans and a black bomber jacket, I looked at myself in the mirror. I was actually quite happy with how it looked together.

And while I was taking care of my hair, I thought of Phil again. I wondered how he was doing. But I told myself not to think of him now, and I tried my best to forget about him for a few minutes.

I sighed.

Before leaving, I grabbed my black Givenchy-backpack with my phone, my wallet and some other things in it with me. That nervous feeling still was there, but I decided it would probably be the best to ignore it.

When I arrived at the huge building which seemed to only consist of glass and the big blue "Edith S" signs above the entrance and on top of the building, it was 7:40 am. I was ten minutes early, which I usually never was; I had a habit of always being late. But this job was a whole other thing.

My heart started racing as I opened the door and walked in. I came into a big room with high white walls and the huge glass windows on the front side, with mannequins standing in front of them. There was something that looked like a reception and I walked up to it to announce I was here and also to ask what exactly I was supposed to do now, as no one had really told me.

"Good morning," I said to the small skinny woman sitting behind the table. She had black hair and tanned skin, and looked quite young.

"Good morning," she said as well, but in a more stressed tone. "How can I help you?" She looked up from her computer. When she saw me, she stared at me a little too long, but I chose to ignore that.

"Um, I was invited here today for... for the job. Uh, you know, that collaboration Edith S planned. My name is Dan Howell."

She seemed confused for a second, but then nodded. "Oh, right, the blogger thing. Ha, oh God, I forgot that was today. Sorry, I just came here two minutes ago." She laughed a bit and to make her feel a bit less awkward, I did as well. "Do you have an ID-Card or something else that proves that it's actually you? Sorry, but I'm not allowed to let you in just like that."

"Uh, sure, no problem." I got my wallet out of my backpack and handed my ID-Card to the woman. She looked at it for a few seconds and then handed it back to me. "How did you manage to look good in that photo? Those ID-Card pics are usually horrible."

I laughed at her compliment and probably also blushed a bit. "Why, thank you."

She giggled. "You're welcome." She smiled. "Oh, um, Alice, one of the employees, is coming in three minutes to pick you and some others up in the waiting area. Let me show you where it is."