Chapter 22

Chandler's POV

I woke up to the feeling of someone shaking me. I turned around to see Mark looking down at me.

"Chandler, your family's here," he said gently.

I nodded and stood up, forcing myself to let go of Katelyn's hand.

We walked out into the hallway. The first person I saw was my mom. Her eyes were puffy and she was shaking.

When she saw me, she wrapped me in a hug.

I wasn't a very emotional person, but when my mom started crying, so did I.

So I just stood there, sobbing into her oversized sweatshirt like a 10 year old.

I felt a hand on my back and I turned around to see Gray.

We bro hugged before my mom ambushed me with a question.

"Why didn't you call us as soon as you found out?" she asked hastily.

"I was kinda preoccupied with freaking out," I answered honestly. "It was on the news, didn't you guys see it?"

"We didn't watch it tonight," my dad answered. "We went out to eat."

"How is she?" my mom asked, almost cutting my dad off.

"Critical condition," I said, the words tasting like poison.

She put her hand over her mouth and sighed sadly, a single tear running down her face.

"I'm gonna go back in," I stated. "You should go hang out with Mark and Natalie. They need you guys. I'll let you know if anything happens."

My family hesitated before nodding and walking down the hall toward the distraught parents.

I sighed and slowly walked back into the room, sitting back down and grabbing Katelyn's hand again.

Looking at the heart monitor, I realized it had gotten slower. Her heart beats became  farther and farther apart and were fading.

I simply held onto her hand tighter, as if holding tighter would keep her with me as tears ran down my face.

But soon enough, the dreadful sound came, as I knew it would.

The flatline.