prologue

ISABELLE HELD ON TO her mother's pale hand. It was hard to face the inevitable. The cancer was taking over. Her mother was dying.

"Mom, you don't have to go now," she pleaded. "You've been fighting this for so long. I believe you can make it through. Don't slip away now."

Tears filled her mother's eyes. "If I let go, I won't be in pain anymore."

"Please stay with me," Isabelle cried. "You're the only person I have left."

Her mother's hand gently grazed the side of Isabelle's cheek. Then her hand limply fell, and the static heart monitor went dead.

She was gone.

Isabelle started hysterically sobbing and shaking her mom. "Please wake up! Don't be dead. Please, please don't be dead." She screamed for a doctor.

Several minutes later, a doctor and  two nurses appeared. "I'm very sorry, Isabelle, but I'm afraid there's nothing we can do. Your mother is dead."

Isabelle cried even harder. "There must be something you can do," she gasped between sobs. She was clutching a small BB-8 toy that her mother had given her for Christmas. It was the only trace of her mother she had left.

Isabelle watched in horror as her mother's body was wheeled away. "She can't be dead," she whispered to herself over and over.

A few minutes later, an official-looking man in a suit and tie appeared. "Are you Isabelle Ferguson, daughter of Michele Ferguson?" he asked.

"Y-yes," Isabelle said. She was still shaking with sobs.

"I'm Tyler Meller, from Child Services," he said. Isabelle cringed. She didn't want to be put into foster care. She would much rather live in the streets of New York City than with a family that hated her.

Tyler continued. "Since you are under the age of eighteen, and your biological father has passed away as well, you will have to be in the foster care system. Do you know what that means?"

"I'm not an idiot," Isabelle snapped.

"Okay. We will give you some time to grieve in privacy, but after that, you are going to live with the-" He checked his iPad- "Wallis Family."

"I can't go live with them right away," Isabelle said. "I still have all my stuff at my mom's apartment!"

"If your foster family allows it, they will let you go back to retrieve your belongings," Tyler said. With that, he left the room. "I'll be back."

If your foster family allows it? Isabelle swallowed hard, trying not to think about the terrible things that had creeped into her life. It was as if all happiness had been forcefully torn from her. She had to leave before that man returned. She did not want to be placed in a foster home.

Isabelle checked the hallways up and down, to make sure that nobody from Child Services were still around. Thankfully, there were only a few nurses in the hallway.

Isabelle double checked to make sure her phone was in her pocket, and ran. She ran down twenty flights of stairs until she reached the hospital lobby, and ran outside. It was pouring rain, and she ran until she couldn't see the hospital anymore.

Isabelle didn't have any money with her, or a phone charger. Her phone was at 82%, so she had to preserve the battery as best as she could. The only other thing she had was a BB-8 toy.

She walked about three blocks until she found a subway station. She descended down the stairway until she was underground. She didn't have her metro card with her, so she couldn't go anywhere. Instead, she decided that this would be her temporary home. She sat down in the corner, hugged her knees to her chest, and cried for hours.

_________________

IT HAD BEEN A week since Isabelle had lost her mother and started living in the subway station. Every day, strangers walked by her and did nothing. She hadn't eaten or used her phone in a week. One kind woman did give her a bottle of water, and each day Isabelle would take little sips out of it.

Late one night, after all the workers had gone home and no one was using the subway, Isabelle was awaken by footsteps coming down the stairs. At first, she was terrified that it could be Child Services trying to find her. But, it was just a young couple holding hands and laughing. Probably drunk, Isabelle thought.

They looked like a fairly young couple that were in their twenties. The boy had freckles all over his face and long, dark, curly hair pulled back in a bun. The girl curly brown hair and red lipstick on, and to be quite honest she was one of the most beautiful women Isabelle had ever seen.

The couple noticed her and walked over. "Oh my gosh, darling, are you okay?" the girl asked.

________________

welp, there's my first chapter

y'all can probably guess who the couple is lmao

this is really random but i met anthony ramos a few days ago and he smells good

btw i also saw hamilton and it wAS INCREDIBLE AHHHH

i also met andrew chappelle, thayne jasperson, rory o'malley and phillipa soo ahh