"Sounds amazing, thanks Ryan"

"But I have something to confess"

"What is it?"

"I opened the box earlier" my heart hit the floor. "And I read everything inside it. You've read it haven't you?"

I nodded and looked down to my lap, trying to fight the tears.

"Please don't be mad at me Marie. I did it for you..."

"I know. And I'm not mad. I was trying to get you to open it remember?"

"Marie.....do you really think she is your mum?"

"No do you think I'm stupid?!!"

"Well you did go and meet her..."

"I guess I just....wanted to believe that my mum never died. But......how did you know she isn't really my mum?"

"The article. It said you were taken from Manchester, but you've never lived in Manchester your whole life! This lady, whoever she is, found a random newspaper article, and tried to fool you with it. I'm sorry..."

"Don't be. Imagine what could have happened if you didn't realise she was fake?"

"I can't, and I don't want to"

The rest of the journey was filled with Mike humming along to the radio whilst Ryan and I sat in the back seats. I stared out the window the whole time but I could see in the front outdoor mirror that Ryan was staring at me the whole time. Aww.

We eventually arrived back at the house and it seemed really quiet considering its mid afternoon.

"Where is everyone?" I asked.

"Marie you need to come into my office for a chat before you go off with Ryan"

"What?"

"Just go with him Marie" Ryan said. "I can set up for our movie marathon while your gone and then we can have a really great evening"

He sounded like a robot, almost monotone. "Ok...?" I said, sounding like I was asking a question.

"It's fine. Go!" He kind of pushed me into the office with Mike and then ran off up the stairs.

"Bye then...." I slowly stated as he disappeared up the stairs. I sighed and turned to Mike who was looking at me with a look I couldn't read. I've never seen him look like this before.

"What is it?"

"I know about the article. And everything else that was in the box...."

"What?! How...?!"

"I just do. I'm not going to go round pointing the finger. But you must know....that lady.....she wasn't.....she......she isn't...."

"My mum?"

He nodded solemnly. "I know she isn't Mike. I was a fool to ever think she was. I just got so excited at the fact that I maybe had a mum, and even possibly a brother."

He got up, walked over to me, and gave me a really tight hug. I buried my face in his shirt and took a few deep breaths as I listened to him speaking soothingly....

"It's hard you know,p. Specially for the first year or so, but, everyone in here feels the same as you. Everyone understands how you feel yeah?"

I nodded and pulled away from him. He gave me a pat on the back and dismissed me "off you go then. Stay happy and have fun. Not long before school is back in"

"This has been the longest half term ever" I said, making him chuckle.

"You're telling me!"

I smiled at him, he smiled back and nodded, signalling for me to leave whilst he sat back down at the desk to do some work, paperwork probably. The joys of being a careworker!

I closed the door behind me and walked towards the door to the living room. There was nobody there! I walked backwards into the lobby then looked in the kitchen, there's nobody there either! Where is everyone today?

I used the back door to get out into the damp garden. There was nobody on the table, the swinging bench or on the grass!

Is there something I'm missing here? A massive party they didn't think to invite me to or something?

I decided to give up my search for everyone and just enjoy the evening with Ryan. After all, he's the only one I've managed to speak to since I got back, or all day today, or much of yesterday.

I guess Mai Lee must have taken the others all out for the day or something. Although, I would have thought they would be back by now. Dinner won't be long. Maybe the minibus has broken down again! Mike said it needed a service!