The Beginning

So today is the day I start at my new school. Bridgeway Secondry School. (Yippee(!))

I got dressed in my ridiculous uniform. The jumper is a dark, swamp brown and the shirt is yellow, the skirt is grey and together, it looks like it should be in the bin.

The skirt is practically at my knees and the jumper is slightly too big. Basically it looks a mess. My school bag is the same bag I had last year. It's blue with white butterflies across the front and I love it a lot. It's a bit messy and dirty but I don't want any other bag.

I sighed as I looked myself up and down in the mirror in the bathroom. I had my hair down today and that's how I'm going to leave it. I'm not making any sort of effort for school. You can't make me!

I walked down to the dining room where I poured myself a bowl of coco pops or whatever happened to be in the box at the time. Everybody else was coming in looking just as much like a zombie as I did.

"So I can't wear trousers, I can't wear any badges or accessories and I can't even change the laces on my shoes?"

"Yep. Pretty much" sighed Tee. Then Carmen came in. Her hair was tidy and she somehow managed to actually make this revolting uniform look good. I don't understand at all.

----------

My shoes are already hurting my feet and I'm still up in my room. Everybody else is waiting downstairs to walk me to school. I don't know how far it is but I hope it isn't more than like a 15 minute walk.

I slowly plodded down the stairs to see Bailey, Mo, Kazima, Tyler, Jody, Tee, Carmen and Ryan waiting there for me. Mike and Mai Lee were also there by the office door waiting to see us off.

"Are you sure you've got everything?" Mike asked me as I got to the bottom of the stairs.

"Yes"

"And you know you can talk to any of this lot or call us if you need us..."

"Seriously Mike, it's school. Not like I'm gonna die is it?"

"Just try and settle in ok? Have a good day guys!"

"Bye" we all groaned as we stepped outside and began walking down the drive. Ryan and I were slightly behind everybody else.

"So what happens when we get there?" I asked him.

"Well we all have to sit though some dull assembly but we will take you to the reception desk and they will sort out your timetable and stuff"

I nodded as Ryan told me who to not talk to and what teachers will tell me off for stupid little things and basically just gave me advice on the day.

We turned a corner onto a big, grey building. We've arrived.

I took a moment to take in my surroundings. There were kids everywhere, already sorted into there little friendship huddles discussing their holidays and which boys or girls they are into.

Ryan took me to the reception before leaving me there to go off to the assembly. The lady in reception gave me a timetable and a map of the school before giving me directions to the main hall where assemblies and lunch and stuff is.

The head was running the assembly which is why I wasn't told to go talk to her just yet.
It was this moment, as I walked down the long, boring corridor, that I remembered what a cruel place my old school was. The teachers, the lessons the bullies.

And it's this moment I'm deciding that I'm not having a fresh start, I'm going to be myself. That's what they say isn't it? 'Be yourself so that people like you!'