Chapter 38

Chapter 38

I was looking out the balcony from the Choir room. I could see the gates of Dalton Academy and some seniors lounging and reminiscing. I am grateful for my stay here. I don't know what would've happened if I hadn't transferred two years ago. It's just so unnerving to know that we'd be leaving in a few days...

"Hey." Thad said leaning on railings beside me. "Can you believe it's been two years?"

I shook my head with a smile. "It seems only yesterday I came here to Westerville with a broken arm."

"And that gay but not really vibe." Thad added

"You just had to add that?" I asked. "I know I have a baby face. You don't have to rub it in."

"Well," Thad said wrapping his arms around me. "Look at you now. You've got me as your best friend. The Warblers as your brothers. And probably one of the most confident people I know."

He let go of me and looked at me in the eye. "You are definitely different from that awkward kid I met two years ago. And I am sure you're mom would be proud."

I grabbed Thad in a hug. "In the risk of sounding like a teenage girl, have I ever told you that you are the bestest friend anyone would ever hope for."

"More than once." Thad said. "You're not bad yourself Barry. Now, enough with this sappy stuff. We have one last Warbler Meeting."

~()~

For the first and last time I banged the gravel on the council table, where Thad and I sat.

"Okay so I know this is the last Warbler meeting for most of us here. And everyone has something to say. So I think we should start. Nick?"

"I just want to say that even when we are all in our separate colleges." Nick said. "We are all brothers. And to all the new Warblers, we are all just a phone call away."

"Once a Warbler, Always a Warbler." Jeff said with a smile as he was comforting Clark who had already broken down.

Most of the Seniors had said the same thing. And when it was my turn, I stood nervously on my seat. I walked towards the front of the council table and tried and failed to casually lean on it confidently. I rubbed my sweaty palms on the side of my pants and I started.

"I know I've been a bit of a jerk."

"Understatement." Nick piped and I just playfully stuck my tongue at him while he laughed.

"Well, I just want to say. I'm sorry." I said. "And thank you. I've...I was an only child for so long. And after my mom had died. I don't know who to trust. Being here, being in the Warblers, felt like having real brothers. There are moments I really thought I hit rock bottom, but you guys were there for me. So thank you."

Trent opened his arms and engulfed me in a hug and soon everyone was in a big group hug.

After everyone as back in their seats and calmed down. I gave them all a big smile.

"So to end this meeting, as captain, I would like to announce a few changes, Thad and I have thought of for the future of the next generation of Warblers." I said with a smile and motioned to Thad.

"We would like to reinstate the three man Warbler council. And for next year's councilmen, when I call your name please come forward." Thad said. "Warbler Skylar."

The seniors surrounding the stunned sophomore patted him at the back as he happily stepped forward.

"Warbler Austin."