Chapter 4

Chapter 4

"I can't wait to see mom!" Stacy exclaimed as she threw different clothes in my direction.

I tried to explain to my six year old cousin that having your sixteen year old boy cousin help you pack is probably not the best idea. But she just waved me off. And I didn't have the heart to argue with her.

So I was stuck with a semi-filled suitcase trying to refold her clothes and pack them in. (Thankfully without the cast, I was de-casted the day before)

Aunt Adalene, Uncle Alan's wife and Stacy's mom, is a tall, beautiful and elegant woman. I can understand how Uncle Alan, probably one of the most stiff and kill joy teenager of his time, fell in love with her. Aunt Adalene is a very high spirited and very compassionate person. She managed to soften up my uncle. Which turned him to the lovable man he is now.

She is a born half French half American. From my understanding, they met in college here in America and they got married after college. Aunt Adalene went back to Paris when her mother got sick last year to take care of her. And she got a job in fashion design so she stayed there few months.

And this break we are going to Paris and Stacy is ecstatic. The trip itself was a week away and Stacy was already packing.

"Barry?" Uncle Alan asked opening the door into Stacy's room. he studied the surroundings and raised en eyebrow. "What are you two doing?"

"Packing for Paris." Stacy stated. "We are going to need clothes when we go there."

Uncle Alan gave me a look like he was close to laughing. I just shrugged.

"Stacy, the trip is next week."

"But Daddy" Stacy said. "If I don't pack now I will forget and I don't want to go to Paris naked!"

I had to hold back a chuckle on my cousin's trail of thought.

"Don't worry, Stace." Uncle Alan chuckled. "Barry and I won't let you forget. But I really need to borrow Barry for a moment."

"Why does everyone want to borrow my Barry?" Stacy pouted crossing her arms.

I grabbed my cousin in a hug. "Don't worry, Stace. You're always going to be my favorite girl. But I need to talk to your dad, so you can be my favorite sister."

"Really?" she said perking up. "You're going to be my brother? You're going to stay here?"

"I was planning on letting Barry stay here for a year or two." Uncle Alan said

"Then go talk!" Stacy said practically pushing me and Uncle Alan out of her room. For a six year old girl, she was pretty strong. "Barry can help me pack later tomorrow."

She closed the door on us leaving me and Uncle Alan in the hallway. We both laughed at my young cousin.

"Come on, Barry." He said. "Let's continue this conversation in my office."

~()~

"I finished fixing the guardianship papers." Uncle Alan explained. "And you may continue to use your father's name or you could change your last name to your mother's maiden name."

I wrung my hands nervously. "I was talking to Iris earlier. The bullying in my old school became really...bad."

"Yes. Joe mentioned the same thing."

"I don't really want to change my name." I said. "My father is innocent. I bear no shame with sharing his name."

"I understand, Barry."