Chapter 34

Chapter 34

"I think he's coming around."

I opened my eyes and everything was a blur but slowly focusing. And the first people that I see were Nick and Jeff.

"Welcome back to the living, Mr. Smythe." Nick teased. Then his expression turns solemn. "You alright?"

"What happened?"

"Well." Jeff started. "Hunter went raging towards Trent. And you jumped on him. He nearly choked you to death. But Jon and Nick had managed to get him off you. The nurse managed to get to you on time and get your breathing again."

"I have got to stop getting my ass kicked."

"Yeah you do." Nick said with a chuckle. "That was really brave of you standing up to Hunter for Trent."

"I am sorry." I said. "I honestly didn't know about Hunter..."

"It's alright." Nick said. "Some of us suspected that you wouldn't have known. I mean seriously, most of us know about Nerdy Sebastian. And the Protective Sebastian. So we kind of figured. You would know the side effects of those drugs and would not actually let anyone take it even if it were for desperate times."

"That didn't stop Thad now didn't it?" I said bitterly. Nick and Jeff exchanged a look.

"Actually, we were meaning to talk to you about that. Why didn't you tell us?"

"Tell you about what?"

"You know Barry." Nick said. "And the adoption."

"I didn't think it was such a big deal." I said with a shrug "Thad told you."

"Well, he just revealed that your mom's last name is Smythe. And in order to officially take that name is either a. your mom is a single mom which doesn't add up since the man you call dad also has the surname Smythe. Or b. you were adopted."

"We figured. It was the latter since you changed your name all the way." Jeff said. "And you could only do legally that if you were placed in the witness protection program or adoption."

"So we sort of connected the dots."

"Who else knows?"

"Well I'm not sure who else suspects." Nick said. "But everyone knows about Barry. And would demand an explanation."

I groaned. Lying back on my pillow.

"It's alright if you don't tell us." Jeff said. "We all have our secrets."

"It's alright." I grumbled. "You two will probably try to look deeper into it if I didn't tell you anyways. Or make up some weird story on how I was actually Sebastian Verlac coming for revenge."

"Hey those series are awesome." Nick said. "Sebastian is the best villain I have ever seen."

"Next to Voldemort that is."

"So I guess it started when I was eleven...

~()~

I explained to Niff of my whole story. How my mom was murdered and they thought my dad killed her. Living with Iris. Losing my friends, and moving to Westerville.

Strangely enough they were very supportive of it.

"There are a lot bad that has happened to you." Nick had said. "If that happened to anyone else. They'd probably be bitter yet despite your killer defense, you are one of the kindest and nicest people we know."

It was good to know that despite all that happened here in Dalton, I still had some pretty good friends here. I was allowed to go back to my room in strict instruction to take it easy. Which means I was excuse from classes, no Warblers, no lacrosse and utter boredom.