Remus sat heavily on a chair at the kitchen table. He looked exhausted. "I must say you're taking this quite well, Lin. I thought you'd at least be startled."

"I was startled for a moment, but I know you wouldn't bring a real murderer to my home. Are mushrooms and asparagus okay?"

"Yes, I'll eat anything."

Lindsay stopped what she was doing for a moment and turned to look at him. "Are you alright, Remus? You look very tired."

"Just my usual," replied Remus with a dismissive wave of his hand. "I'm fine...just hungry." Lin turned back to her cooking. "There's something I need to ask of you, Lin."

"You can stay as long as you like, Remus," said Lin.

"How did you know what I was going to ask?"

"You're traveling with a fugitive. It's obvious that you need a place to stay."

Remus shifted uncomfortably in his seat. "I don't know how or when I can repay you--"

Lindsay slammed her knife onto the counter and turned to him. "No one said you have to. You're my guests." Sirius chose this moment to reappear. He carried a bottle of red wine in each hand.

"Never had muggle wine; I can't wait to taste it."

Their hearty, albeit unusual, breakfast led to lengthy conversation that stayed within the confines of the kitchen. Sirius's story was a terribly sad one to Lindsay, but he made light of it and Lindsay had the impression that Sirius wasn't the sort of person who tolerated low spirits for very long. She kept the conversation upbeat. Since everyone was so content to stay in one room, the conversation continued uninterrupted when Lindsay rose to make lunch.

Both men began to tire after their second meal, and the conversation wound down to near silence. Lindsay took the cue to make up rooms for them on the second floor. Remus slept until morning, but Sirius joined her for dinner and another bottle of wine, which he finished himself.

Sirius walked slowly around the pool, wine glass in his hand, while Lindsay cleaned up the kitchen. He'd had time to wash and neaten his clothes; his long, wavy, black hair blew softly in the light evening breeze. A change seemed to come over him as the sun slowly descended the sky. There was a gloomy stillness that crept over him as the sky darkened and settled into night. His face was inclined to the sky, and he spoke quietly when Lindsay joined him.

"I long to put my face up to the summer sun," he sighed deeply. "But freedom in the dark will have to do...for now, at least."

"I'm sure you'll be cleared of all charges once truth becomes known."

"You have too much faith in bureaucracy." Sirius abruptly changed the subject before Lindsay could reply. "It's awfully good of you to let us stay here."

"It's nothing. I like the company."

Sirius studied her for a moment and spoke assertively. "No harm will come to you while Remus and I are here. I promise you that."

Lindsay smiled despite the fact that Sirius's statement took her by surprise. "You don't need to reassure me. I'm not afraid."

"You should be." Lindsay wasn't sure how to take that statement. The smile faded from her face. "Oh, not of me!" blurted Sirius. "I'm harmless...loveable...adorable, some might say. But there are dangers that your muggle mind can scarcely dream of, and I'm quite frankly shocked that Albus has brought you so near to them."

"Albus Dumbledore? I don't understand..."

"I don't expect you to. There's so much you don't know; too much to explain in one evening, and I'm much too tired for it anyway. But I will tell you this; you can trust Hagrid, and the Weasley's. You won't find better people. Minerva McGonagall is as brave and stalwart as they come, but she's honest to a fault so mind what you say to her." He drained his glass and set it on the patio table. "Avoid the Malfoys and anyone who associates with them; that includes Snape."

"Professor Snape, the schoolteacher?"

"He's a dangerous man."

"But he's a schoolteacher," said Lindsay looking incredulous. "He doesn't...fiddle with the students, does he?"

"No, no," replied Sirius with a shudder. "I'm not confident that he's capable of fiddling with anybody, and I can't imagine who'd want to join him. Maybe a Hag; they can be indiscriminate, but that's a topic that shouldn't be tackled on a full stomach. Do you know what a Death Eater is?"

"Yes, Arthur told me."

"Snape is a Death Eater."

Lindsay looked stunned for a moment then broke into laughter. "You had me, you really did."

"I'm not joking. You can ask Remus tomorrow."

"Why would Professor Dumbledore hire someone so dangerous to teach children? It's absurd."

"Albus does strange things. He's a tough man to figure, but there's one thing about him that's very consistent. He's much too trusting. He likes to see good in people."

"You say that like it's a character flaw."

Sirius rolled his eyes. "Well, I've given you a warning, now I have something else to discuss with you. Are you aware of Remus's ailment?"

"Yes."

"We need a safe place for him to change."

"Oh...um...there are unfinished rooms in the cellar," offered Lindsay.

"Oh no, we can't have him in the house. If he escapes...well let's just say it would be too dangerous and leave it at that."

"Oh, well, there's the tool shed, and the potting shed."

"Both too small," replied Sirius.

"There's a disused springhouse back there in that thicket. It's made of stone and it's much larger than the potting shed."

"That sounds promising. Lead on, milady." Lindsay rose and took Sirius's outstretched arm and guided him to the old springhouse. Sirius walked around the interior of the springhouse testing the strength of the stone and mortar. "This should do nicely. I can split it into two spaces; one for Remus and one for me. I like to keep an eye on him when he changes."

"There's plenty of furniture stored on the third floor. Pick whatever you like."