Direction

Gemma watched her son smoke a cigarette at the picnic bench across the lot. That shit-eating grin plastered across his face since that Sunday dinner a couple of weeks ago. She knew the reason behind it, but she didn't understand why. From her perspective, Delilah just seemed eager in keeping whatever relationship she had with Jax platonic – even though Gemma thought that was horseshit. She could see how smitten Jax was with the mother of his son.

She knew her son seemed eager to become a father, which she could admit shocked the hell out of her. However, she expected this optimistic attitude to dwindle once the reality of it set in. She wasn't trying to be pessimistic, she loved the fact her son seemed to be ready to handle all the responsibilities of being a dad. Her concern was when Jax came to realize him being a father didn't always include the romantic entanglement of being with the mother.

Gemma, of course, wanted to push Delilah and Jax together. Her son didn't need to settle for the platoon of croweaters to keep him company. He needed a strong woman in his life and Delilah could be that.

It just didn't help that his last legitimate relationship was with Tara Knowles. She hated to completely discredit Wendy because she knew they had their moments she assumed, but it was the wrong moments. Wendy didn't possess the backbone of providing emotional support that these men needed. She didn't know how to handle the ugly maturely. Wendy thrived off the chaotic lifestyle but not in the right way. She fed off the glamour. Wendy, she concluded, liked the feeling of being included. She liked the attention and what better way to have all the attention by marrying the VP of a motorcycle club.

Delilah could properly navigate this lifestyle. Gemma knew Delilah might be a little rusty at first, but with a little priming, Delilah would be able to stand firmly behind Jax when he took place as President.

The only obstacle was Delilah and Lip.

As she noticed, Delilah seemed to be content in keeping her son in the friend bubble. Gemma knew though the blonde businesswoman most likely was raging a war with herself in what she wanted with Jax. Gemma fully believed there had to be some initial attraction for them to sleep together no matter if it was a one-night stand. They had a history. They knew each other. On top of that Gemma was all too aware of the abandoned crush Delilah used to have on Jax and Jax's lingering stares on the then younger girl. She knew it crossed both of their minds.

She would just give Delilah a little more time to adjust to everyone knowing the paternity of the little heir because Gemma would crack her and slowly give the push Delilah and Jax needed.

She only needed to take into account that even then Delilah still wouldn't rush into anything despite her already being pregnant. She also knew Lip had probably wormed some doubts into his sister about Jax. She knew Lip would take forever and a day to convince her that this could be a good thing. It is just things can't move too slow considering the baby would be arriving. They needed to get their shit together.

Her son wasn't raised to live a slow and steady life. He was conditioned to the fast life on an asphalt lane with the breeze whipping past him. In this world, you didn't get to be that way. There were too many obstacles and uncertainties. It was either you were all in or weren't. Jax learned that the hard way with Tara who always had one foot in and the other foot out the door. Now, it didn't help there was the added pressure of him being so highly ranked in the club hierarchy.

Gemma at least had something to keep her mind occupied along with her getting the equivalent of grandma fever.

Gemma was so lost in her thoughts that she didn't even realize her son had moved from his spot at the picnic table to right in front of her causing her to blink a few times at his abrupt appearance.