Mind Elsewhere

It's a couple of days later and Dom has just started his shift on Keller.

"Hey Dom, How are you?" Sacha asked as he sat at the nurses station.

"Fine" Dom mumbled. He hated that question. It never go any easier but he didn't want to seem like he was moaning all the time. So lying had become his defence mechanism once again.

"Mrs Chambers is asking for you" Sacha says looking over at Dom's patient. Dom huffed before going over to her.

"How can I help you?" Dom asks.

"The pain in my stomach is getting worse." She tells him.

"Well you need an operation to remove your appendix due to appendicitis. If you won't sign the consent forms then there is nothing else we can do." Dom says in a matter of fact way.

"I want to wait for my husband." She tells him.

"Then there isn't anything else I can do" Dom says going back over to the nurses station.

"What was that about?" Sacha asks as he sits down logging onto the computer.

"Just her appendicitis, she won't have the op till her husband gets here." Dom explained.

"Did you reassure her that the operation was routine and that there shouldn't be any complications." Sacha queried.

"I did the usual risks and benefits, if she doesn't want It I can't force her." Dom said seemingly giving up on the patient.

"You can outline the risk that her appentixs might burst." Sacha told him.

"I'm going on my break." Dom said getting up and walking over to the lift to go down to pulses.

He grabbed a coffee from Pulses and made his way over to the peace garden, he liked to sit out there because as the name suggested it was a peaceful place. But today there was a mother hectically on the phone and running after two little kids playing tag.

"This is a peace garden" Dom huffs make his way back inside and up to Keller.

He goes over to the staff room and lingers by the door as he hears his name.

"It's like he's giving up on everything." Sacha says.

"he hardly talks anymore and his patient's aren't enough of a distraction anymore." Essie replies.

He quickly walked away going over to the storage cupboard. The one that everyone went to when they were hiding away. He walked into find a photo of him and arthur on the shelf were they usually sat.

"You fancied me diggers." Dom smiled to himself at the trinket.

"So much happened in here, all of my saddest moments and yet I still come here when I'm feeling down, I guess the wards just full of memory's. Happy ones, Sad ones, funny ones but it's like there on repeat in my head every time I'm out there. I find myself sniggering at a file I don't want to do, waiting for you to tell me you'll do it instead but it just doesn't happen anymore." Dom says through tears.

"Now I'm crying, Thanks a lot Diggers. I suppose I tried to be strong for Zosia, she needed me but now that she's on psych I'm just broken. I know she blames me and I don't know how to fix it." Dom adds.

"She doesn't blame you, not really." Dom hears a voice say.  

AN - please let me know what you think and who do you think it was at the end??