Chapter Thirteen

{ You really know you love someone when all you want is for them to be happy, even if that means that you are not a part of it.}

___________________________________________

 (Rachael's P.O.V)

The gathering was small consisting of Emma, Luke, Jason, Lauren, Taylor, Ben (Jason’s super-hot cousin) and sad lonely me.

“Hey Rachael, long time no see.” I looked up from where I was sitting to see Lauren making her way to me.

“Hey Lauren, how’s it going?” okay just try to be nice to her, easier said than done.

“It’s going great, you?” she took that as an invite to sit next to me. It was around 8:30 p.m. and we were all sitting in a circle out back around the fire pit at Jason’s house.

Lauren was now sitting on my left while Emma was on my right talking to Luke.

“Nothing new.” Our conversation ended when Jason came out of the house with a bowl of chips in one hand and his guitar in the other. He sat the bowl of chips on the small table in front of us and sat down next to Lauren.

“And how are my two favorite girls doing tonight?” he gave us one of his dazzling smiles.

“I was trying to get the dirt on you from Rachael, but she won’t dish.” she glanced at me before looking back at Jason.

“Honey that’s called being a loyal friend.” He gave me a wink before turning his attention back to Lauren, mainly her lips. I looked away and saw Ben coming over to stand in front of me.

“Hey Rachael, glad you could me it.” Ben looked exactly like Jason, only shorter, less muscular and he had short brown hair.

“Yeah, Jason practically dragged me over here.” He was smiling down at me.

“Well if he didn’t, I would have.” He gave me a wink, and I couldn’t help but smile. He was really cute.

I glanced over at Jason and I saw him shooting daggers at Ben, I mean the poor guy didn’t do anything. But Ben didn’t notice the death glare that was aimed at him, or maybe he just ignored them. 

“Mind if I take a seat.” He pointed to my right, and I saw the seat Emma previously occupied was empty. I looked over to see her now snuggled on Luke’s lap.

How the hell did she end up over there?

“Yeah, of course.”  I gestured for him to take a seat.

“I heard a rumor that you are now single.” H wiggled his eyebrows at me.

“Very single, but I’m not really ready to mingle” I gave him an I’m-sorry-smile.

“You can’t blame a guy for trying.” he shrugged his shoulder and I gigled. 

Jason suddenly stood up and raised the drink in his hand. “I just wanted to thank you guys for coming here tonight. This is me and Lauren’s one month anniversary. So happy anniversary baby doll.” He gave her a wink before continuing on with his speech “I want to sing you a song to show you how I feel.” He put down his drink, sat down and rested his guitar on his thigh.

I looked over at Lauren and I saw a tear slip from her eye.

“I hope you like it.” He gave her a smile before starting.

(Play video)

Well you done done me and you bet I felt it

I tried to be chill but you're so hot that I melted

I fell right through the cracks

And now I'm trying to get back

Before the cool done run out

I'll be giving it my bestest

Nothing's going to stop me but divine intervention

I reckon it's again my turn, to win some or learn some

But I won't hesitate no more, no more

It cannot wait, I'm yours

I closed my eyes and just focused on Jason’s deep voice pass through me. He had an amazing voice .When we were kids he sometimes sang to me at night when I couldn’t sleep.

Well open up your mind and see like me

Open up your plans and damn you're free

Look into your heart and you'll find love love love

Listen to the music of the moment people dance and sing

We're just one big family

And it's our God-forsaken right to be loved love loved love love

I opened my eyes and I saw Jason staring at Lauren while he sang, and in my mind I keep thinking that that should be me.

So I won't hesitate no more, no more

It cannot wait I'm sure

There's no need to complicate

Our time is short

This is our fate, I'm yours

 I had to keep telling myself o not cry, that I was fine with this. With not being his, I swalloed hard as I closed my eyes. 

And do ya want to scooch on over closer dear,

And I will nibble your ear

I've been spending way too long checking my tongue in the mirror

And bending over backwards just to try to see ya clearer

But my breath fogged up the glass

And so I drew a new face and I laughed

I guess what I'm saying is there ain't no better reason

To rid yourself of vanities and just go with the seasons

It's what we aim to do

Our name is our virtue

 I opened my eyes again as the song came near to an end, this was all my fault. I should have said something to him.

I won't hesitate no more, no more

It cannot wait I'm yours

There's no need to complicate

Our time is short

This is our fate, I'm yours

Well open up your mind and see like me

Open up your plans and damn you're free

Look into your heart and you'll find that the sky is yours

So please don't, please don't, please don't, there's

No need to complicate cause our time is short this

Oh this oh this oh this is our fate, I'm yours

And when he ended a round of applause erupted as Lauren and Jason stood up and hugged each other.

And in that moment I knew that I just lost him.

_____________________________________________________

Vote for Rachael for being so strong