Chapter four: Yukiya And His Curse

Start from the beginning

The classroom was filled with students. I turned my attention to a corner of the room that students stood far away from, purposely avoiding something. It was as if there was an invisible wall around that corner of the room. And in that corner, was Yukiya and a grey wolf with dazzling yellow eyes sitting next to him.

"Why is everyone keeping their distance from Yukiya?" I inquired, asking the obvious question.

"It seems he's got a curse on him, so everyone keeps away from him." Elias answered before Luca could.

"Yukiya has a curse?"

"He gets ignored like that by everyone because of the so-called 'curse.'" Luca responded finger quoting the last word.

"That's stupid," I commented. "Curses aren't contagious."

"Yes, it's ridiculous," Elias agreed. "We're sharing a room at the dormitory, but I've never had an actual harm by his so-called 'curse' once. He's quiet and clean, the perfect roommate for me actually." He thoroughly explained looking at Yukiya while we were talking about him. As if he could hear us, he looked in our direction.

"Well, if that's the case.." As I made my way over to Yukiya, the laughs in the room quickly faded into whispers.

"Hey, Yukiya." I greeted, taking the seat to his left side as Elias took the other seat next to him to his right. Luca, being Luca, took the seat right next to Elias.

"Hi, Katherine." Yukiya replied.

I gave him a bubbly smile. "You remembered me!"

"Of course I remembered. You're the only person, other than Elias to approach me. Everyone else steers clear as far as they can."

"I'm sorry to hear that."

"I'm not." He shrugged. "I think it's better off this way. I'd rather have two real friends than one-hundred fake ones, don't you think?"

I nodded in agreement. I pointed to the grey wolf perched near his feet. "Is that your familiar?"

"Yes."

"Can I pet him?"

"Do what you want, he doesn't bite." I excitedly get up and crouch down to the wolf's height. I put my hand out to let him sniff me. Once he got familiar with my scent, he let me pet him. Running my fingers through his fur, I was surprised how freakishly soft his fur felt.

It feels like petting a cloud!

"You're Katherine, right?" A girl's voice asked from behind me.

"Yes?" I responded. I stood up and spun around to see three girls surrounding me.

The girl who spoke to me had dark hair with a purple tint to it. Her hair was put into a half-up bun with some pieces that fell out of it. Behind her, were two girls: to her left was a girl with short dark blonde hair in the style of a bob, and to her right was another girl with long black hair with bangs. The trio had a look of hatred and disgust towards me.

"Don't you think you're letting being Elias' Buddy get to your head?"

"'Get to my head'?" I repeated the question, biting back a laugh at the ludicrous thought. "Who are you?"

"Oh, how rude of us to not introduce ourselves first! I'm Rose, this is Lily and Violet." Rose, with the purple-tinted hair, pointed to herself, then to the girl with dark blonde hair, and then to the one with black hair and bangs.

"-And I should care why?"

"I'd watch my tongue if I were you, girly," Rose sneered. "You should be amazed and delighted because we're the three who can put even flowers to shame-"

"For the noble of the academy, and our dashing prince, Elias!"

"We're called 'Elias' number one fans!'" Their ear piercing introduction gave me a headache, no, definitely a migraine.

I can't believe that he has his own fan club... Whatever happens next, I won't be surprised anymore. This academy is crazy!

"Listen up, Elias is the heir to the prestigious Goldstein family-"

Lily scoffed, folding her arms with a glare. "And to think that he's Buddies with such a low-life like yourself."

"'Low-life,' seriously? I'm gonna say this once, so you better get it through your thick skull: as long as we're all here, we're just students, nothing more. Status means nothing here. If you want to debate about this more, we can do it outside, if you'd like. Though I don't know how brave you will be without your audience." The crowd around us began to echo with 'oohs' and snickers.

"She's not wrong..." Violet mumbled, getting immediately smacked in the arm by Rose.

"Anyways, we don't accept you being Elias' Buddy-"

"Don't get carried away, we'll do everything in our power to get rid of you."

"Bye-bye!" With that said, they disappeared in a flash. The sound of students talking died down the tension in the room.

Luca approached me with a malicious grin. He teased, "You haven't even been here for a week, and you already got into a fight first thing in the morning. I envy you, Kate."

"I'm not in the mood, Luca." I warned him, plopping down in my seat with a huff.

"If it makes you feel better, I totally would've betted on you if it turned to a fist-fight." He reported as he took the seat next to me. "They look too scrawny."

"Are you actually staying for class today?" I asked, changing the subject.

"Well, I usually skip potion class 'cause it's boring as hell but, since you're here I'll stay. When I told you I wanted to know all about you, I meant it! I'm a man of my word." Moments later, the bell rang. The door opened and a professor with long flowing grey hair, brown-doe eyes, and an alluringly calming aura entered the room.

"Let's begin the lesson, shall we?"