~Chapter 38~

legolas

--------

The only reason we came to my old house is because it was the only 'safe' place in the area, not because I wanted to see it. I have no intention of visiting this place out of my own free will. Even if the pirates did find us here, they wouldn't come inside. It's as crumbly as a crushed shortbread and can fall apart easier than a group of three year olds playing Jenga. That's entertaining to watch.

"What happened to it?!"

I think she was referring to the gaping burnt hole in the wall and the charred furniture outside, but I can't be sure.

"What do you think happened to it? A flood came and washed it all away?" I snapped. I thought it was pretty obvious by the gaping burnt hole in the wall and charred furniture outside.

"Are you being sarcastic?"

I nodded. She mumbled something I couldn't hear, but I ignored her. Akane paused and I switched my gaze from a pizza shaped cloud to her, seeing that she was looking at the building intently.

"So... a fire?" She concluded.

I tutted and sat up, correcting her. "Actually, an explosion."

Akane nodded, pushing me towards the building. We both walked up to the electric fence. It was rusting in some places, but the majority of the metal loops were still shiny. There were a few signs that had a lightening bolt and the words 'Danger' in the middle.

I watched Akane as she eyed the 'Danger!' sign and backed off. I rubbed my wrist and checked my watch. It was... off. That's strange. That would normally never happen. But it explains why it didn't try and stop me when I passed the psychological barrier of safe thinking. However, it can't simply turn off by a little shove, it is specifically designed to remain intact with whatever I do to it, but of course there are limits.

Somebody must've deliberately turned it off. Who could've turned it off though? You would have to touch my wrist for long enough to-

"Akane."

"Yes?" She whispered.

"You turned off my watch so you could see what I was like when I passed the psychological barrier of safe thinking- didn't you?"

She nodded. "If you mean snapping... then yes..."

I was surprised she gave in so easily, but I suppose this is for the sake of their 'research'. Still, I wasn't happy that I would have to deal with my watch now. Wait, I have merely forgotten the fact that I can take the watch off. This should solve the problem.

My fingers grasped the strap and pulled it, but it wouldn't let go. Does this mean I have to take the injection? It could potentially kill me, the dosage will most certainly be stronger than normal because it was turned off. The doctors could've changed my watch without any notice and it could be the end of this story.

I fired Akane a look of death, but felt something strange in my hands. I looked down to them. They were shaking. Was I scared? No, that's impossible. Fear may be knowledge in the face of danger but fear is useless in my eyes.

"Are you shaking?" Akane snapped me back to reality. I gave her a 'what do you think?' look and tapped the watch a couple of times. Definitely off.

You won't die here Zara~

What makes you so sure of that fact?

I have amazing intuition!

That doesn't help. I don't fear death. Death is inevitable, we all die, you either kill or be killed. That is the simple fact of life.

Why are you shaking then?

Both Akane and I waited to see what would happen after I pressed the button. The screen lit up and everything was silent for a second.

A whirring filled the air and the watch skipped through the welcoming procedure, slowly bringing out a needle. The needle jabbed into my skin, injecting something into my bloodstream. The familiar overwhelming calm forced my eyes closed. I slumped against Akane.

You won't die here, I'll make sure.

Now it is just a battle between my body and my mind.

"Zara? Zara!" Akane shouts were muffled, and she tried to support my weight. I leant against her chest and heard her quickening heartbeat. It was comforting that her warmth spread through my now cold body. Little by little, I could feel Akane's pulse quicken as mine slowed.

A white light emerged and I physically tried moved forward. In my mind, I didn't move, but my pulse slowed even more when I tried to. What should I do? Move and risk death? Or stay here in my thoughts forever? Akane's voice became fainter, and fear flashed across my mind.

I thought you said fear was useless!

This is... a mere... human reaction... to death. I... am not-

Don't waste your energy trying to reply to me!

In my mind, I heard hurried footsteps and eventually felt a hand on my shoulder. I turned away from the light to see who it was. It was me. As the person moved their lips, a familiar voice filled my head.

Finally, I found you!

I blinked and responded.

'Are you my conscience?' was my question.

The figure grinned.

It's nice to meet you for real, and not in your dreams!

I couldn't think of anything intellectual to respond with, so my mouth stayed open like a goldfish. The figure slung an arm around my shoulder and led me away from the light.

Don't worry, I'll take care of you- like last time.

~END~