~Chapter 6~

Thanks for reading! <3

-------

"It's nothing."

That's right, it's better they don't know the whole truth.

"You should've told us Zara!"

"Yeah.."

I shook the tablet into the palm of my hand, and threw them to my throat. As soon as the drugs had passed down my throat, my whole mind went blank- almost like forgetting something really important. An overwhelming calm swelled up in my chest and spread through my blood stream.

Although it wasn't bad, I wish they did tone it down a little, because it made my own conscience high.

I'm not.. high!!

You sound pretty out of it, though.

"Your hue has gone from turquoise back to light blue."

"I'll do the night shift." I resumed my typing. The clickity clack of the keys dominated the air space.

"If you need someone to talk to hun, I'm right here, you know?" Mels patted my back, "We all are."

I nodded.

"By the way, thanks for sticking up for me earlier.."

Mels laughed. "See? Zara agrees with me, she is a hard worker!"

"Well I'm sorry- she was the one who offered!" Kyle shouted back.

"So modest, so modest." Mels hummed, patting me on the head.

"You're like her mother, old enough to be too.."

"What did you say to me?"

"Hey!"

~TIME SKIP~

Dark blue. Not black, yet.

My feet padded into the cell. I took note of the low Crime Coefficient, while he payed no attention to the new person in the room.

"Hello."

No response. His glassy eyes bored at the ceiling, showing no life or emotion.

"My name's Zara, what's yours?" I tried, but alas, no avail.

"That's okay, don't tell me- but I do have paints here! I was going to paint but I'm not good at painting.."

Still no response, even though I had brought out a painting kit.

Okay then.

I opened the palette and grabbed a paintbrush, drawing a flower. Art wasn't my best subject- but it can't be that bad, right?

Uhh, Zara? I thought the petals were meant to be bright and cheerful, why did you paint them black??

"What do you think?" I blocked out my conscience, holding the paper up to his face. I thought I saw something stir inside his eyes, so I quickly drew a sun and showed him.

I don't think the sun's meant to be green you know..

"Would you teach me?" I offered the brush.

Rei, the patient, made no move to take the brush, so I started to pull away. Suddenly a small hand prevented me from taking the paintbrush, and I glanced up to see that Rei had turned his head to look at me and was grasping the paintbrush in his slender fingers.

"Rei. Rei Murobana." He whispered, leaning up in his bed. My face crinkled into a smile.

"I'll teach you." He stated, pulling the paintbrush from my grasp. I hummed in response, handing him the paper and palette.

You can't even blend colours you idiot!

"Shut up." I breathed.

I snapped my head up to Rei, but he didn't seem to notice. Accidentally, I knocked my paintbrush to destroy the flower I was painting.

What an idiot!

"Shut up!" I hissed, louder this time. Then I was glancing to Rei, mumbling an excuse about hearing somebody call my name. It was a bad excuse, but I didn't expect him to question it.

"I didn't hear anything.." He mumbled back.

Aw, I hope he doesn't tell on us! They would try and get rid of me!

"Why... do you help me?" He questioned after a while, looking in my eyes. I saw that they were now a vibrant green.

"Because I wanted to. It's my job, really."

I showed him my mess of a flower. Rei stared at it for a few seconds before carefully painting on a number, then showed me.

"3 out of 10?! Come on! Be a bit more nice! I tried!" My mood changed completely as I pleaded, grabbing the paper. It didn't help that my conscience was howling of laughter in my thoughts.

"Look! I have blended colours here, here and here!" I stated.

Those are only paint splodges, Zara.

"Those are only paint splodges." He smirked, showing white teeth.

I waved his words away and checked my watch. Time to go! We exchanged our farewells, and on the way out I caught a glimpse of his Hue.

It got lighter!

If only a little bit.

~END~