~Chapter 34~

thanks for continuing !

--------

Upon further inspection, Akane's flat was a nice place. Not for long. I can guarantee a definite three glass breakages not including the window. But however much I tried to distract myself, my eyes wandered back to the elephant in the room- Kagari.

What was his purpose here? Probably to spite me. He's not an elephant, but he wanted to make his hatred obvious. As soon as we first made eye contact, I was the only one who looked away. Kagari just kept on staring, and he had been in that position (hunched over a table) for the past three minutes. My ears were going red damnit.

wait wait wait, you're getting embarrassed because of who? Kagari?

can he see my burning ears?

I decided to help Akane with drinks to escape the negative vibes radiating off Kagari. I had finally gotten back into the safe zone of Crime Coefficient and he wasn't gonna mess that up.

"Can I help?" I offered, shuffling into the kitchen. Akane opened a cupboard, which had loads of pretty glasses in it, but closed it and went for a straightforward glass. Good choice, I thought. She clearly knows the damage I could do, which is always... helpful.

oh!

oh?

"Oh!" I gasped softly. I hadn't taken my tablets for two days. They had ran out! That's probably why I've been out of control! It explains the prick in my neck too- sometimes there's imbalances of chemicals of my body and I'll feel random stuff.

"It's fine- thanks." She muttered, moving over to the dispenser. It was a hollow, grey hole in the wall with an opening at the top. The definition of sleek and stylish.

I always found it so amazing that the correct amount of calories could just, pop! right out of those little holes. Akane clicked the 'drinks' button and selected water, non-flavoured. I gawked at the buttons. There were like 30 different options of mineral levels!

"Take your pick." She joined Kagari in the main room. I scanned over the water options. After debating over calcium rich water and gold infused water, I decided that plain old water was best.

When I entered the living room again, Akane and Kagari were arguing.

"She can't stay with you- she could attack you at any moment!"

"It's my house is it not??"

"She's that Zara, the Zara who attacked almost all the ministries and got away with it!"

"Kagari, she's been through more than you have."

"How?"

"Her hospital count is over 800! That's almost once a week!"

"I've had it worse!"

"Mels told me that she's been operated on involuntarily-"

"So have I!"

"She's been an guinea pig for almost every new drug there is for preventing high Psycho-Passes, and still can't even control her own. She was excluded from school and everyone apart from Kyle, Jake and Mels ignores her! How do you think she feels?"

Silence.

"Thanks for sharing my life story." I put the glass on the table, a bit too forcefully. They both snapped their heads up. Kagari's face crumpled into a grimace.

"It's all in the textbooks anyway." He spat, slamming the door on the way out.

"I'm sorry, he still doesn't trust you." She explained. "As part of our course, we have to learn about significant latent criminals in history- and you're one of them."

I couldn't hide the disappointment in the noise I made next.

"We've all heard you're unsociable and have almost like different personalities when you pass the psychological barrier of safe thinking."

"The what?" I choked on my water.

"The psychological barrier of safe thinking?"

I nodded slowly. It was the first time I had ever heard of that.

"You should know what it is! It's... er, when you start to think more criminally?"

I clicked my fingers.

"Oh, do you mean when I snap?"

"Snap?" Akane tilted her head.

"Where I pass the point where I can't think straight and I go psycho." I replied, looking at my cup.

"To snap..." I looked up and jumped when I saw Akane bring a notebook out of nowhere and begin scribbling something down.

"Y-yeah..." I gulped down the rest of my water. Akane smiled at me. It was the kindest thing somebody had done for me the whole day- no, the whole week.

~END~