Chapter Sixteen

Alec woke up to the sound of a door being opened. Even though he had just woken up, he quickly realized that a Skylord was going to be on the other side of the door, ready to take him away. Since Charlie had been taken away he had been both worried about what happened to her and he was also slightly curious.

When Alec looked up, however he could tell even in the darkness that the figure standing in front of him was not a Skylord. He knew whoever standing in front was human. 'Come on' whispered a muffled voice. Alec hesitated but eventually got up and followed the figure. The figure in front of him began to walk up what felt like stairs and Alec carefully followed.

At the top of the stairs the figure opened a door and it creaked as it was opened. Light shone straight at them and Alec covered his eyes in pain. It had been a while since he had seen light. The two of them stood out into what looked to be a very big hallway. Alec looked up at the figure for the first time. He gasped. Standing in front of him was a girl around the age of thirteen. She had brown curly hair falling all the way down her back, her face was pale with the exception of her red cheeks. Her clothes were raggedy looking and she looked to be very weak on her feet. It was Charlie.

'Charlie?' hissed Alec. He could barely recognize the girl, she looked terrible. 'What happe---' Charlie spoke over him quietly, 'look I will tell you everything when you get out.' 'Get out?' questioned Alec. 'Why would we want to get out? I thought they were helping us.'  Charlie shook her head sadly, 'just come' she said 'we need to get out of here.' They tiptoed in silence down the hallway until they reached a set of doors. When Charlie opened the doors there was another hallway but this one was smaller. Alec recognized this hallway, it was the hallway at the entrance of the meeting house.

Charlie nudged Alec with her elbow anxiously. 'Come on, what are you waiting for?'She started walking towards the main door. Alec paused and stared at the doors. He seemed to be frozen. He was unsure about whether he should leave or not. After all he had been through he still respected the Skylords. It was like they had an invisible hold on him, he couldn't explain it to Charlie.

He was snapped out of his trances when he heard a loud noise come from behind him. 'Whats wrong with you?' shouted Charlie, clearly sounding panicked. Finally, Alec decided to follow Charlie as he didn't want to see what the Skylords would do to him if he stayed where he was now.

Alec began to run towards Charlie just as the doors were opened behind him. He reached Charlie and the two of them sprinted away from the meeting house. While he was running Alec dared to look back and he could see about four Skylord's standing at the main doors. He thought he saw one Skylord take out something of his cloak and it looked very similar to a wand. He turned back and when he looked over at Charlie to see if she was still running, he saw a spark hit her and she collapsed on the ground.

He stopped in his tracks and went to kneel by Charlie. She looked to be unconscious. Alec began to panic and as he turned back he saw the group of Skylords coming closer. They didn't seem to be in any rush as they knew that Alec wouldn't get up in time. There was a flash next to him and Alec just about dodged it. He could hear footsteps coming toward him and he looked up to see a woman coming towards him.

The only thing that Alec noticed about her at the time was that she had flaming red hair. 'Who are you?' Alec demanded suspiciously. The woman looked annoyed but she didn't answer him. Instead she said ' she has a pulse.' Alec felt a bit better but how long will she have a pulse? he thought.

His thoughts were interrupted when a spark flew right between him and the woman. The woman got up quickly just as another spark flew in her direction. She jumped gracefully to the side and sent what looked to be a ball of fire at the Skylord that had aimed at her. The fire ball hit the Skylord in the leg and it collapsed on the ground but even Alec could tell that it was still alive. Alec could hear the woman muttering ' I need to get closer.'

She took off running towards the Skylord's dodging sparks and shooting fireballs as she went. Alec watched in awe as she defeated every last one of them and came running back to him and Charlie. 'What? she demanded and without even waiting for an answer she said 'come on help me.' Alec grabbed hold of Charlie and so did the woman and they began to walk away from the meeting house.

Alec could almost tell that the right decision would be to follow the woman, so she could help Charlie but he still didn't see the harm in asking questions. The woman almost said to herself 'I wish I was strong enough to transport.' Alec pretended to not hear her and asked 'Where are we going?' The woman answered quickly, 'someplace safe.' Alec pressed on, he really wanted some answers, he had been sitting in the dark too long, literally!

'But who are you and why did you kill our leaders?' The woman looked at him in disgust 'I'm Katrina' she said but didn't answer the second part of the question. Throughout the journey Alec tried not to look at Charlie as he was terrified at what he was going to see. She still wasn't moving but Alec tried to remain optimistic. They reached a small building and Katrina spoke again. 'Come on quickly' she said and the three of them disappeared into the building....................