Chapter Fourteen

Tessa woke up abruptly to find someone shaking her. She looked up to see Jane looking at her with wide blue eyes. 'Come on, get up quick' she said in a rush.

'W-w-w-hat?' Tessa asked yawning, clearly feeling bewildered. 'The search for your grandfather' said Jane exasperated, looking like she was seriously considering  throwing something at Tessa. Tessa groaned and got up. Jane handed Tessa some clothes 'put these on and meet us in five minutes.'

She made her way to the door, 'wait' Tessa said just thinking of something, 'how is Katrina?' 'She's fine, she was awake this morning but she decided to get some rest and keep an eye on the village, just in case something happens.'

Jane dashed out of the room before Tessa could say anything. The news on Katrina surprised her but then again everything had surprised her over the last few days.

She put on a white hoodie, black jeans and black converse, attempted to brush out her hair and rushed out of the room.

Jane and Sylvie were both standing up looking impatient when she got to the room. 'What took you so long?' asked Sylvie impatiently. Ignoring his comment Tessa asked even more impatiently, 'okay I'm here so where are we going?'

'Just close your eyes and link arms' said Jane whilst holding the clock. 'Oh and this might feel a bit unpleasant because its your first time traveling a long distance.' Tessa knew what was coming so she did exactly what Jane told her to do. She held onto Sylvie's hand on the right of her and Jane's on the left. She closed her eyes and waited for something to happen.

Then it started. They begun to spin a little but Tessa could tell that they were picking up speed. At one point the speed seemed so unbearable to Tessa that she felt like throwing up.

She didn't dare open her eyes afraid of what she would see and she was also afraid that it would ruin the spell. She still had a grip of Jane and Sylvie, but she could feel her hands slipping. Her heart was beating at an alarming speed and then it happened. She felt herself falling and she felt the link breaking between Jane and Sylvie. She tried to scream but no sound escaped from her mouth.

This is it she thought to herself, this is how I am going to die. She thought about her father, her mother and Charlie and realized that she was never going to see them again.

Just when she had given up all hope, she landed on the floor with a thud. 'Ouch' she muttered. She looked around panicking, where were Sylvie and Jane? A second later they appeared, but while Tessa had landed awkwardly, they both landed elegantly and rolled to the side.

Relief filled Tessa. She was so glad to have her feet on the ground again. Jane came over to her and put her arm on her shoulder 'are you all right Tessa?' Tessa looked up at her kind eyes. 'I think so' she said a little unsure.

She nodded and for the first time since they had got there, they actually took in their surroundings.

They were,  to Tessa's surprise,  in a field. Over the hill she could just about make out a cottage. Sylvie started walking in this direction and Jane and Tessa ran to catch up with him. 'Do you think he lives there?' asked Tessa.

'Yes' said Jane 'well maybe, you see there are two houses in this particular area and it is either one or the other.'

They reached the front gate of the house and without even realizing Tessa took a sharp intake of breath. This could be her grandfather's house. It was an ordinary looking cottage with a small front lawn, there were flowers growing everywhere and Tessa imagined that whoever lived here really loved gardening.

She tried to imagine playing in the yard here when she was younger, maybe even helping him grow the flowers but she stopped herself as this might not even be his house she thought, although she secretly hoped that it was.

Without even realizing what she was doing, Tessa opened the gate and walked up the stony path to the front door. She was in such a trance that she wasn't even aware of the others following.

Slowly and reluctantly she knocked on the door and waited in anticipation, trying to imagine what her grandfather looked like. Footsteps could be heard coming from a different room.

Then there was a click of locks and the door was opened on the other side very cautiously. Tessa looked up at the person who had opened the door.

Standing in front of her was a very tall man who looked to be in his thirties. He had short dirty blond hair, there were bags under his eyes and he was wearing a dark red dressing gown.

'What?' he snapped impatiently. Tessa cleared her throat before speaking, she could feel her heart pounding. 'Umm is Arthur Jones here?' she inquired. 'Who?' said the man. 'Arthur Jones' repeated Tessa politely but she could tell the man wasn't going to say yes.

'I don't know of any Arthur Jones' said the man rather quickly. Tessa, at the moment did not see that the man had a very nervous air to him, as she was slightly disappointed but relived at the same time.

'Oh okay thank you for your time' she said smiling at the man trying to hide her disappointment. The man nodded and closed the door very quickly behind him.........