Chapter 13

"Doctor?" I ask, looking worried. His face it pale.

"Have you nothing to say?" Davros asks.

"Doctor, it's alright. W-We're in the TARDIS. We're safe," I lie to him, lying to myself.

"But you were destroyed. In the very first year of the Time War, at the Gates of Elysium. I saw your command ship fly into the jaws of the Nightmare Child. I tried to save you," the Doctor states.

"But it took one stronger than you. Dalek Caan himself," Davos adds.

"I flew into the wild and fire, I danced and died a thousand times!" Dalek Caan informs.

"Emergency temporal shift took him back into the Time War itself," Davros finishes for him.

"But that's impossible, the entire War was time-locked!" The Doctor yells back. I watch as his face changes, almost to anger. His bad side is starting to come out. I've never liked it when he does that... It's terrifying.

"And yet he succeeded, oh, it cost him his mind but, imagine. A single, simple Dalek succeeded where emperors and Time Lords have failed. A testament, don't you think, to my remarkable creations."

"And you made a new race of Daleks," I say in suddenly realization.

"I gave myself to them. Quite literally. Each one grown from a cell of my own body." Davros opens the clasps of his leather overall, to reveal his ribs. There is little flesh left, and his heart can be seen beating through his ribs. "New Daleks. True Daleks. I have my children, Doctor. What do you have, now?"

"After all this time, everything we saw, everything we lost. I have only one thing to say to you. Bye!" The Doctor yells his last word as he pushes a lever on the TARDIS and it begins to fly towards the Earth.

***

The TARDIS has materialised outside a church. The Doctor gets out, followed by me. The street is deserted, with abandoned cars and objects left lying in the streets. There is nobody to be seen.

"It's like a ghost town," I state.

"Sarah Jane said they were taking the people. What for? Think, Alessa..."

"I can't! I don't know what you're talking about. I can't help- Ask her," I say, pointing over his shoulder. He looks behind himself to see the woman smiling. At the end of the street, a very familiar blonde figure is walking towards them. She stops and grins. The Doctor turns around fully, shocked. She begins to run towards him, and I look away.

"That must be Rose," I mutter.

Slowly, The Doctor starts to walk towards her, then breaks out into a full-pelt run. He's grinning, running towards her. Suddenly, a Dalek turns from around a corner. Rose turns and sees it first.

"Exterminate!" the Dalek shouts. The Doctor hears the cry and turns in shock. The Dalek fires a shot at him, just clipping his side. He collapses. I gasp and hurries forward. Fear rushes through me as I speed towards him. All I can hear is my breath as I collapse to the ground next to him. I lift his head up, onto my arm. Suddenly, somebody teleports here and blows the Dalek up with his gun. I look again to see Jack. Rose throws her gun to the ground and runs to the Doctor's side, across from me. She moves to cradles his head, but I hold him closer as he tries to cling onto his consciousness.

"I've got you, it missed you, look! It's me, Doctor," Rose says, looking down at him.

"Rose..." He mumbles.

"Hi."

"Long time, no see," he says and I look away.

"Yeah. Been busy, y'know," she says and he groans in pain.

"Don't die! Oh my god, don't die. Oh my god, don't die!"

"He's not going to die," I say. "If you know him like I do, he won't. He needs to stay," I whisper. Captain Jack runs over.

"Get him into the TARDIS, quick! Move!" Jack yells. He picks up Rose's gun and brings up the rear as Rose and I half-drag the Doctor into the TARDIS. Rose and I lay the Doctor on the floor of the TARDIS. Rose is crying and I stare at the wall, not being able to cry because I know exactly what happens.

"Just step back. Rose! Do as I say and get back. He's dying, and you know what happens next," Jack says. I look down, back at the Doctor. I just hold my breath.

"He can't..." Rose trails off, still crying. The Doctor grimaces in pain.

"Oh no, I came all this way!" Rose sobs. I reach down to take the Doctor's hand. I close my eyes. The Doctor shakes my hand away before raising it. It glows gold.

"It's starting," the Doctor informs. I stand up and walk away from him. Captain Jack pulls Rose away from The Doctor. He drags himself to his feet, using the console as a support.

"Here we go! Good luck, Doctor!" Jack says as I watch the Doctor. I think back to the last time I regenerated....

"I can't believe I can't have anybody wash my windows! I can't hire somebody?" I yell out to myself. I just sigh before grabbing a ladder. I bring it up to the side of my house. I don't waste a second climbing up it with my wash bucket and rag. I manage to get to the top of the ladder, ready to clean when a gust of wind hits. I fall forward, bucket in hand, and I slam my head into the window. The ladder slips from under my feet and I plummet to the ground. I barely see ahead of me. When I look closer I see a garden stake sticking up from the ground. I watch it as I fall to the ground, above it. I close my eyes as I land.

"When he's dying, his body, it repairs itself, it changes," Rose says, taking me out of my memory. I blink a few times before looking to the Doctor.

"I'm sorry, it's too late. I'm regenerating!" He shouts. He stands forward and his hands and head explode into golden light. Captain Jack, Rose and I all wince and try to shield their eyes from the blinding light.