Chapter 43; Claire Curvel

"It's alright. It's alight." Lori whispered. 

I shook my head, tears clouding my vision. "I'm so sorry."

My hand clutched the knife, my body not listening to me as it pressed the knife against Lori's stomach. I looked up at Lori, my heart stopping at her face. It wasn't Lori anymore. She was a walker. She was gone. I gasped, my hand pressing the knife down into her stomach, blood spilling out and flooding the floor. It was too much blood. What was happening. 

"Lori!" I yelled. I jolted awake, being yanked back by something across my chest as my heart raced. I looked around frantically, forgetting for a second where I was. My head spun as I leaned back, closing my eyes as I reached up to wipe the sweat from my forehead. 

It was just a dream. Calm down Claire. Just another nightmare.

"Are you okay?"

I nodded, opening my eyes and turning to look at Glenn who was driving. "Just a dream," I answered hoarsely. "How long was I out."

"About ten minutes," He replied. 

I nodded again, leaning over so my head could lean against the window. 10 minutes was longer than before. It's as if every time I close my eyes, Lori or someone else like Dale haunts my dreams. They won't let me rest. It's almost as if I was being punished for not trying hard enough to save them. 

"You want to talk about it?"

"No." Was all I answered. That's all anybody has been asking me lately, but really, I was fine. I wasn't going to lose my mind again. I know that they're just nightmares. Doesn't make them go away by talking about it, I can handle them this time. 

I looked down as my hand was grabbed, Glenn squeezing it softly in comfort. "I'm here Claire," Glenn reminds me. He gives my hand another squeeze. "This run is an in and out job, grab whatever you think we could use while looking for baby formula."

I nodded, pulling my hand away from his, and looking back out the window. The car came to a stop as we pulled up to the curb of the store we were to loot. Glenn turned the car off as I opened my door and stepped out into the blazing sun. I grabbed my flashlight from the waistband of the back of my pants and softly shut the door back before walking over to Glenn's side. 

It was quiet. That could either be a good sign or a bad one. I'm praying there isn't more than one of two walkers inside this place because I'm exhausted. I'm tired of having to kill something every damn day, and I know I shouldn't complain since that's just how the world is now, but it's be nice to just be able to relax. For once.

"It's clear outside," I called out. There wasn't a walker in sight which meant this place was probably touched before or walkers just never made it this far.

"Alright let's take a look inside."

Glenn grabbed the bolt cutters from the car, a flashlight hanging out his mouth as he went up to the chained up door. He let out a grunt as he clipped the chains and grabbed the door handle. I took my spot behind him as he swung open the door. I let out a small shriek as bats flew out over our heads, my heartbeat picking up in pace.

"Jesus," I hissed. I stood back up, gripping the flashlight in my hand tighter. "That scared me more than it should have." 

Glenn chuckled, leaning back to give me a quick peck on the lips before heading in first. I turned my flashlight on, shining it behind him to make sure nothing was going to pop up. I smiled as my eyes landed on a little toy duck. 

"Glenn," I called out. "Get that duck."

"What?"

I flashed the light at the duck that I was talking about. "Get that duck," I repeated. I watched as Glenn walked towards it, a confused look on his face. "A baby growing up in a prison could really use some toys."