Chapter 35; Claire Curvel

My eyes fluttered open, my body feeling completely over worked. I was beyond tired. Exhausted mentally and physically.

We've made a complete circle again; heading back close to the direction of Hershel's farm that got over run. Nobody has really gotten any sleep since we've been trapped in the cars for the past 4 days. It just seems like our luck is running low again.

"You coming?" Glenn asked, hitting his hand on the side of the truck to gain my attention. "Actually no, I think you should sit this one out."

I shook my head, rubbing the back of my filthy hands over my eyes.

"I'm fine," I lied, holding back a yawn. "I already told Rick I'd help clear out the house."

"Claire, you need rest," Glenn pestered.

I chuckled lightly, standing up in the back of the truck and hopping out. "So do you and everyone else, and we ain't going to get it until we find a safe place to stay."

I patted his shoulder before walking away from him and towards the car Rick is driving. I huddled up with everyone else, slinging my arm over Beth's shoulder to lean on her tiredly. She gave me a small smile --in which I returned.

"Al'right who's volunteering to help clear this house out other than me and Claire already?" Rick asked.

I peeked over his shoulder, waving a small hello towards Lori. She mouthed hello back before slumping in the seat like she normally does. She's been having a lot of mood swings lately which is totally understandable. You know with being pregnant in a apocalypse and all; barely being able to move quickly because she has to worry about the baby in her stomach too.

"I'll go," Carl volunteered.

Rick gave him a look, one that seemed like he was going to protest. "All right little C, we'll be partners again," I said, watching as at least a little relief washed over Rick. I pushed myself away from Beth and took my spot next to Carl,pushing his hat on top of his head down playfully.

"Me and T-Dog can help, let's just get a move on ca' we," Daryl rushed.

Rick handed me my beretta; he only had a hold of it because he needed a gun when I wasn't helping them scavenge places. Looking he found ammo for both of our guns, as well as shotgun ammo and some ammo for Carl's pistol. Kid never runs out of bullets now that I think about it.

"Let's go, Carl and Claire, you two wait until we get in first," Rick ordered.

"Sir yes sir," I joked, lazily saluting him.

Rick rolled his eyes as Carl snorted. I was too tired to really make a joke out of it so I left it at that. I pushed Carl before falling into step with him up the porch. I raised my gun as Rick busted the door open with his foot and me and Carl followed in like ordered after the three men went.

Me and Carl followed Rick while Daryl went left and T-Dog went to check the two closed doors on the right. Carl and I followed Rick into a dark hallway before Carl pulled me the other way.

I let Carl lead the way since he had my flashlight, but I stayed right behind him, a hand on his shoulder just in case I had to pull him back. "I think it was just those two walkers at the door," he whispered.

I shrugged, coughing to clear my itchy throat. "Maybe. Or maybe their playing hide and seek with us."

Carl only shook his head in front of me as I followed him to a bedroom. He slowly pushed it open, both of us cringing as it creaked. This house must be old as hell. "Over there," I pointed out quietly at a lone walker facing away from us.