Chapter 17; Glenn Rhee

"Come on Rick, you don't have to keep her cuffed up to the bed," I defended, observing Claire's sleeping form; her right hand was handcuffed to the bed frame which I think is completely uncalled for. "You already hit her with your gun, give her a break."

Rick shook his head at me, walking towards the door. "Sorry Glenn, it's not for us, it's for her. She's a danger to herself."

I sighed, not being able to argue with that. She seemed to always be getting herself hurt when ever she did something. That's not a good thing, especially in a world were walkers want to take a bite out of you.

"Stay here until she wakes up," Rick ordered. "When she does, you come get me and Hershel you hear."

I rolled my eyes, hearing Rick walk out the bedroom as I sat on the edge of the bed Claire was sleeping in. I was still pretty pissed. At her and Rick. Her because she was so quick to run to the barn and swing punches at people who were just trying to protect her that she busted up three knuckles on her hand with the broken wrist and her ankle is all swelled up again. Me and Rick on the other hand had some very heated words after he carried Claire back to the house.

His dumb thinking of tackling her scraped her chin up and there was a large bruise on her back that was beginning to show. I wouldn't be surprised if she woke up with a bad headache too because of that hit with his gun.

I huffed loudly, leaning over Claire to move her hair out of her face. "Wake up Claire, I need to know you're all right," I whispered softly.

I know I wasn't going to get a response from her. She's been out for about an hour now. I wouldn't be surprised if she ended up with a little brain damaged with how many times she's been knocked out and fainted since she got to this farm. I don't know why it ended up being her. It ended up being her as the one I fell in love with. A girl that's 6 years younger than me, a kid at that, but I would literally do anything to keep her as mine.

I shook my head -laughing at my stupidity. She isn't even mine. By the way she treats me, I think she can hardly stand me. It's not my fault she made me care. Guess it's not really hers either, it just happened. Nothing her or I can do about it now. I just wish she'd stop running from me every time I get too close to her. 

Claire. God, what am I going to do with you?

I was drawn away from my thoughts as Carl walked into the room. He gave me an awkward smile as he shut the door behind him and took a seat on the small chair in the corner of the room.

"Is there something you needed Carl?" I asked, eyeing him suspiciously.

Carl shook his head, not looking at me as he spoke. "My dad told me to keep watch of Claire, he wants to talk to you about something."

Are you kidding me right now? I turned to look at Claire's sleeping form. I don't really want to leave her side, but Rick might have something important to tell me. It could be something about keeping the group safe which would mean keeping Claire safe.

I sighed, standing up and nodding my head. "All right, do you know where he is?"

"He was walking to the stables when I left him."

"Take care of her all right and when she wakes up, you get me. Not Rick or Hershel. Me," I clarified.

Carl nodded. I reached down -giving Claire's hand a squeeze before letting go and walking out the room. What could Rick possible want? I headed down the stairs and to the back porch, stopping in the kitchen as I noticed Maggie. She watched me carefully, drying her hands on a kitchen towel.

"How's she doing?"

"Fine," I replied quickly. I avoided her gaze, rocking back and forth on my feet as I debated to run out the door and be rude or listen to what Maggie was about to say once again.

"Glenn," she said slowly, walking over and standing in front of me. "You don't have to worry about me telling Claire what happened before we found her. It was a one time thing and it just happened at the spur of a moment."

I flinched away from her touch, looking at her. "Can you stop bringing it up then? It's like you want someone to hear about it," I snapped.

"We did have sex and sooner or later someone is going to put two and two together," she retorted, raising her voice a bit. "I care about Claire as much as you do. I don't want to hurt her so you should tell her before she finds out on her own."

I shook my head. "No." I stepped aside from her to the back door, opening it. "It wasn't even supposed to happen," I reminded harshly before walking out the door.

I slammed it shut behind me. I know Maggie meant no harm by the topic, but I'm sick of her bringing it up. We had sex, great. Don't mean I'm happy about it. Sure I didn't mind at the time, but now I regret it more than anything. I can tell Maggie does too. I just can't have Claire finding out. I want to tell her when it's the right time. Not now when I can hardly keep her around me before she goes running off somewhere to avoid me.

Who would have thought that love would be so complicated even in an apocalypse.