Chapter 5; Claire Curvel

I tip toed down the steps of the house, leaning against the wall so I could hear what Hershel and Rick were talking about

I tip toed down the steps of the house, leaning against the wall so I could hear what Hershel and Rick were talking about. I know it was about me since Rick swore he had to tell Hershel that I tried to leave the farm grounds 2 nights ago. I had been here too long, I don't know what's happening in the real world out there. Not this weird fantasy these people have here.

I'm surprised he waited this long to say anything. I don't see what's the big deal of me leaving anyway. These people don't even know me. Just because I'm a kid don't mean I can't murder them all in their sleep. They honestly have no idea of what I'm capable of. Not saying I would murder any of them, but it's hypothetical. I have a group. I have a brother out there that I needed to know was alive or not.

"Where did you find her?" Hershel asked seriously.

"Sneaking around the barn. I thought I was just seeing things, but then she sprinted through the grass thinking no one could see her," Rick confessed. "I stopped her right away since I was near. I don't think she realizes how dangerous it is out there alone."

I scoffed quietly. I wasn't alone. I had Randall. And a group. Plus I knew the dangers, I'm pretty sure I know more than them considering they're all hiding on this farmland. They were protected. They didn't see what the world outside of this farm was like. They didn't know how bad it really is. They're too trusting.

"She's barely a kid. Keep watch of her, I know this won't be the last time she tries to run off," Hershel spoke.

I stomped past the archway of the living room loudly on purpose -opening the door and slamming it shut so they knew I heard them. Hershel was right. I would never stop trying to get away from this farm. But I don't need no damn babysitter. I'm not a kid. I've survived this long. The door opened behind me as I stood on the porch with my arms crossed, my body not as sore as the last few days. I felt better after a good night's sleep, the only thing still hurting was my broken wrist which Rick has yet to apologize about because he's a prick, and sometimes my ankle will get sharp pains. That's just the toll my body was taking for now.,

"You shouldn't go ease dropping on adult conversations," Rick scolded.

I rolled my eyes. "I ain't no damn kid. I'm almost 18," I sneered. "I think..." In honesty, I don't even remember how many days have passed by.

Rick chuckled softly, patting my back before leaving me alone on the porch. Damn these people. I squinted my eyes, staring off into the distance at Lori and her son Carl who woke up that night I tried to leave and Hershel cleared that he could walk about today. She seemed so relieved, but easily worried again when her son insisted on going outside. He didn't want to sit still and I didn't blame him. It's not fun and games growing up in a world like this now. If Rick and them were so worried about a kid, worry about Carl. Just the thought of still being stuck here was beginning to irritate me.