Chapter 39; Glenn Rhee

My fist clenched at my side, my eyes widening as I looked through the bottom cells for Claire. My heart pumped wildly in my chest, the worse scenarios coming to my head. I ignored Rick's curious stare towards me, my hands feeling as if they were going numb from how tight my fist were clenched.

Where was she? Why couldn't I find her?

My head began to pound, worry hitting me in another wave. I groaned, turning and stalking my way to Rick. "You seen Claire?" I asked in panic.

He shook his head. "Haven't seen her since the others came in."

I groaned again, running my hand stress fully through my hair. Where could she have gone in so little time? She was just in my sight not even 5 minutes ago. Did she just vanish into thin air? I was pulled from my thoughts as Rick placed a reassuring hand on my left shoulder. "Glenn calm down," He said calmly. "She's in her somewhere, couldn't wander off far in her state."

I nodded. He's right. "Okay," I muttered.

I took in a deep breathe, exhaling slowly. I looked towards the stairs, nodding my head towards Daryl as an indication I was going to go ask him. I stomped up the steps, stopping at the perch where Daryl laid with his arm covering his eyes. 

"You seen Claire?" I asked loudly.

"She went in one of them corridors," He answered without looking at me. 

I nodded, opening my mouth to say thanks but decided against since Daryl looked like he didn't want to bothered. He must be exhausted like the rest of us. I'm sure out of all of us, he was one of the ones the most tired. I've seen the others up on days end lately like Rick, Claire, even Carol, but I haven't seen him even take a wink of sleep. 

I went to the farthest cell on the right that was ways away from the others, my gut telling me to check there first. I sighed in relief as I spotted Claire. She was sprawled out on a bottom bunk that had been stripped of everything except the bottom sheet. The blankets must have had blood or something on them for her not to use them.

I smiled, walking quietly into the cell. So this is where she was. Thank God she's all right. I kneeled down besides the bottom bunk, looking carefully at her sleeping face. She must have been worn out. She's been helping out a lot with the group -still showing her tendencies to be stupid in situations, but she was good. I'm proud of her. She's tough, but she still has her soft side to her. 

I carefully reached forward, brushing the hair that covered the side of her face out of the way. A small smile stayed on my lips as I stared at her. Gently I traced my finger from her forehead to down to her chin. Her lips were slightly parted, small puffs of air coming out. I've watched her sleep lots of times but for some reason, she looked different.

Content. 

"What are you dreaming about?" I whispered more to myself than anyone else. 

I stood back up, making my way out of the cell and down the steps. 

"You found her I'm guessing."

I nodded, stopping in front of the cell Rick sat in. It was empty pretty much, letting me know that it wasn't the cell he put all his things in. I wonder if he's sharing a cell with Lori or Carl. I let the thoughts slip my mind, having nothing to really talk to him about. I made my way quickly to the cell I had put mine and Claire's things in earlier. Picking up the two backpacks and her machete, I turned to leave out of the cell only to be met with Lori.

"Are you going to wherever Claire is?" She asked.

I nodded slowly, confused over why Lori was looking for Claire. "Yeah, did you need something?" I questioned. "I'll tell her when she wakes up if you want."