Chapter 25; Glenn Rhee

I paced around the burned out fire Daryl made last night. My heart was pounding in my chest and my hands were shaky. I looked towards the road again, my eyes desperately searching for the red SUV that Rick must have had. T-Dog and Daryl were missing too -the only thing keeping me from freaking out was that hopefully Claire was with them. I was losing my mind not knowing where she ran off to.

I continued to pace around the small camp we set up, every few seconds my attention being drawn to the road where the other cars sat. I jumped, turning around to see Hershel. His arm was outstretched to me, his hand squeezing my shoulder in comfort. "Calm down Glenn, she'll be alright. She's with Rick."

That's my worry. I don't know if it's wrong for me to not trust Rick right now. He killed Shane for God's sake. He hid the secret that we were all infected. I just have my doubts about him right now.

I sighed, nodding my head. "I just wished they'd hurry back." Hershel gave me a small smile before walking back to Beth and Maggie. I looked around, my hands still shaking as I picked my shotgun up. "I'll go keep watch by the road," I offered.

"Glenn-"

"I'm not worrying, I just want to keep watch," I lied. I held my shotgun in front of me as I made my way to stand at the edge of the road. My foot tapped impatiently against the road, my fingers wrapping and unwrapping around the handle of the shotgun. I was feeling every emotion at once. Anxiety, fear, overwhelmed; all for one person. "Where are you Claire?" I whispered, my voice cracking only loud enough for me to hear.

I have no idea if she's fine or if she's hurt. I have no idea if she needs help or even if she got split up from Rick. I have no idea if she's calling out to me for help or if she's just gone. How can I protect her when she isn't besides me? I hate the thought of something bad happening to her, but I have no choice here. I'm not with her and I just have to stand here and wait until she gets back --if she gets back.

I took a quick glance behind me, seeing Hershel walk over to me. Great, what does he want now? I paid little attention to him as he stood by me, my only focus was on waiting for Claire to get back. Everything else didn't matter to me at the moment.

"You really care about her don't you?" Hershel asked after several minutes of silence.

I nodded, my eyes set on staring at the road. "Yes," I answered truthfully. "She means more to me than anyone else honestly."

"She's stubborn."

"I know," I agreed. "But she's strong and knows when it's time to do the right thing."

"You'd give up your life for her wouldn't you?"

"Yes. And everything in between."

Hershel patted my back, making me look at him briefly. "Take care of her, she needs someone like you in her life now that the world isn't as it used to be." He gave me a small smile before walking back over to the others.

I would take care of her. I would protect her. I would do everything in my power to keep her alive and safe as long as I'm around. It's not a promise to anyone but her. I may not need to say it verbally, but I would never let anything happen to her. Her life means more to me than my own.

My attention was brought back to the road as I could start to see a vehicle coming our way. I raised my shotgun up, my eyes squinting to see in the distance. Is that them? Or is more trouble coming our way? Slowly the vehicle became more clear, letting me see Hershel's red car.

"They're back," I called out to the others.

The car pulled over to the curb, Rick and Daryl were the first ones I saw as they got out. My heart seemed to stop beating as I waited for Claire to step out. Everyone came crowding around them, asking multiple questions.